- Circulation is authenticated through Millennium/Sierra subject to these restrictions:
- Patron CCARD is from a member library
- Patron record is not past Expiry Date
- Patron has fewer than 100 items charged (on Millennium/Sierra)
- Patron owes less than $25 (on Millennium/Sierra)
Patrons may select among 7, 10, and 14 days for both e-books and audiobooks. 14 days is the default.
Patrons may borrow up to 6 items combined (e-books and audiobooks) and have 6 holds combined (e-books and audiobooks). All item formats (Open ePub, Adobe ePub, Kindle, etc.) count toward this limit, except those titles available via the Additional eBooks – Always Available button.
Patrons have 72 hours from when the e-mail was sent to borrow the item. If they are at the checkout maximum, then they must return an item early in order to borrow the one on hold.
Patrons may return e-books early, except those in the Open ePub format. MP3 audiobooks are eligible for early return, but WMA audiobooks are not.
This new feature allows patrons to place advance holds on titles that they currently have checked out. Renewing puts them in line to borrow a title again once the first checkout expires. The option to renew a title becomes available three days before the title is set to expire, appearing next to the title on the Bookshelf under the library Account. Patrons can only use the renew feature once for each checkout.
Collection Development Guidelines
Audiobooks will be purchased. MP3 (OMA) and WMA (OAB) formats are available. If a title is available in both formats, the MP3 should be ordered.
eBooks will be purchased. Kindle and ePub are the preferred formats. Other formats will be purchased on a case by case basis.
The Overdrive service and collection is shared by all LION member libraries.
Service fees: Overdrive charges an annual fee for the service. LION currently pays the service fee from reserve funds.
Collection development: The total allocation for collection development is set annually by the LION Board. Each library’s share is based on its proportion of the downloads in the previous year.
Collection Development & Purchasing
A committee of volunteers will make monthly selection lists of audio and eBook titles. Each month approximately 1/12 of the total allocation should be spent which should be split evenly between audio and eBooks. The order is generally submitted mid-month.
The collection will focus on popular materials that appeal to a broad range of public library users, including:
- NYT best sellers
- Major prize winners & popular award winning titles
- Popular fiction and non-fiction authors
- Recent “must haves” & “good reads”
- Books that turn into movies
- Series – if available , including backlists of new releases
- Children’s and teen best sellers and classics
- Additional titles will be considered upon recommendation.
- Maximum price of $50 for non-circulation-limited titles published in the last 12 months
- Maximum price of $30 for non-circulation-limited titles published more than 12 months ago
- Maximum price of $30 for circulation-limited titles published in the last 12 months
- Maximum price of $20 for circulation-limited titles published more than 12 months ago
Only unabridged items will be purchased.
Single copies of most titles will be purchased, unless the holds to titles owned ratio exceeds 10.
Pre-pub items can be purchased if the release date is in the same month.
A MARC record for each title will be loaded into the Millennium/Sierra catalog.