Board Minutes 2015 02

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:30 am Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Russell  Library –  Middletown, CT

 

 

PRESENT:  Karen Jensen – BR, Trish Connolly – DU, Cyndi Shurshac – DU, Kathleen Sasso – EH, Lisa Timothy –EL, Richard Conroy –EX, Marian Amodeo – HM, Gale Bradbury – LB/LG, Bonny Albanese –MA, Beth Crowley – MA, Elizabeth Davidson –MC, Deb Barberi –MD, Pat Tully – MD, Karen Roesler – ME, Madhu Gupta – NL, Bob Hull – NB, Lois Baldini – NH, Cornell McNair – NW,  Meryl Farber –OR, Alice Pentz – ST, Michael Gilroy – RA, Jane Fisher – WA, Janet Flewelling – WA, Colleen Bailie –WM, Lew Daniels – WS, Alan Hagyard – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Justin Strickland – LION, Rick Widlansky – LION.

 

I.          CALL TO ORDER:  Beth C. called the meeting to order at 9:40 a.m.

 

II.         ADDITIONS TO AGENDA:  None

 

III.       PUBLIC COMMENT:  None

 

IV.       APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The minutes of the December, 2014 meeting were accepted as written on a motion by Jane F. and a second by Gale B.

 

V.              TREASURER’S REPORT:   Treasurer, Bob Hull presented the cash flow statements for December 2014 and January 2015.  There were no questions. On a motion by Lisa T. and a second by Elizabeth D. the report was placed on file for audit.

 

VI.       ACTION/DISCUSSION

 

1.     CCAR:  Hamden Library is still experiencing inadequate service from C-Car with delays of up to two or three weeks.  The State Library, to date, has not been able to resolve the problems and has in fact suggested that Hamden may have to place restrictions on what is being sent “in transit” or pay for better service!  Alan distributed a report he ran which shows one day’s “To” and “From” traffic for all LION libraries.  Hamden’s transits are not out of line with the rest of similar sized libraries in LION.  It was agreed that this is an important issue for all LION members and that we all need to be C-Car advocates especially with proposed reductions for the service presented in the biennial state budget.  Beth C. offered to contact the State Librarian and Alan will discuss the issue at the upcoming meeting of consortium directors.

 

 2.     EBooks:  The question was asked if it would be permissible to move someone who can only read e-books to the top of the reserve list.  A discussion followed with several suggestions being made.  A library could buy an extra copy as a “sponsored collection” title and place their patron as the first person on the holds list, or a library could lend a Library owned Kindle with the title loaded on it.

 

Alan pointed out that Guilford Library just paid for a Zinio subscription for Motorcyclist magazine to satisfy a patron request.  The title is now available to all LION member patrons.

3.     Network/eRate:  As reported at the previous meeting, member libraries that are still on an RLAN connection may have major problems getting service from Frontier now and in the future.  Rick has been looking into alternatives.  One option is to apply for eRate discounts to connect libraries directly to LION.  The other is to purchase a fairly inexpensive piece of equipment that allows Sierra to run “over” regular Internet through Comcast or other Internet providers.  Rick has installed this equipment at his home to test it and it seems to work well and is very affordable.  He will continue to test it out and report back at the next meeting.

 

4.     Next meeting:  Due to the scheduling of CLA’s Annual Conference, the next meeting will be held a week earlier on Tuesday, April 21, 2015.

 

VII.      REPORTS

 

1.  LION staff:  Alan attended ALA’s Midwinter Conference and reported on items of interest.  a)  Totalboox which allows libraries to pay for each book downloaded on demand is currently being used by Ferguson Library in Stamford. Alan will get more information.  b) A Portable “wifi” hotspot device that could be loaned to patrons or used by library staff when doing outreach programs.  c) The mobile app Worklist which would allow the use of an Apple device (iPhone or iPad) to scan item barcodes in the stacks and then upload them to Sierra.  Alan has been “beta testing this app” and reports inconsistent performance at this point in development, but anyone wanting to test it themselves can contact him.

Andy has been doing create list training at libraries.  Anyone interested in the training for their library should contact him to schedule a time.

 Rick reported that $3.6 million is included for CEN in the Governor’s proposed budget.  This is great news and would bring fiber to more of our members but he cautioned that libraries may incur a cost for adapting space for the new equipment.

 

2.  LION Committees

– Nominating: None

– Finance: None

– Personnel:  Beth and Jane met with Alan for his annual review

– Planning/Negotiations:  None

 – Bibliographic: Next meeting in the Spring

– Circulation:  None

– LUX:  Next meeting March 17.  Wallingford will have their 3D Printer on display.

– eBooks: Things are running smoothly.  Next meeting will be in May.

 

VIII.        OLD BUSINESS

Jane asked what the status was on eCommerce.  Alan said he will gather information and report at the April  meeting.

IX.       NEW BUSINESS

Pat Tully was introduced.  She has been appointed  the Interim Associate Director at Russell Library filling Vince Juliano’s position.

Michael G. thanked the entire LION staff for their work in bringing all of the Haddam Libraries onto the LION system.

Everyone should take note of Overdrive’s “Big Read” programs in which Overdrive makes one book title available to everyone  for a specific period of time, as well as offering virtual book discussion options.

X.        ADJOURNMENT:  The meeting was adjourned at 11:15 a.m. on a Motion by Lois B. and a second by Meryl F.

 

 Next Refreshments: Durham Public Library

Return to top

Return to Minutes