Board Minutes 2014 09

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:30 am Tuesday, Sept 30, 2014
Middletown:  Russell Library

 

Present:  Lisa Timothy – EL, Richard Conroy – EX, Sandy Ruoff – GU, Marian Amodeo – HM, Gale Bradbury – LB/LG, Bonny Albanese – MA, Deb Barberi – MD, Karen Roesler – ME, Bob Hull – NB,Lois Baldini – NH, Suzanne Maryeski – NL, Cornelly McNair – NW, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber – OR, Michael Gilroy – RA, Jane Fisher – WA, Lynn Serra – WD, Kathy Giotsas – WH, Colleen Bailie – WH, Lew Daniels – WS, Alan Hagyard – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Justin Strickland – LION, Melissa Canham-Clyne – BE.

 

    1. CALL TO ORDER:  Vice President Jane F. called the meeting to order at 9:50 a.m.

 

    1. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA:  None.

 

    1. PUBLIC COMMENT:  None.

 

    1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The minutes of the August 26 were accepted with corrections on a motion by Sandy R and a second by Meryl F.  Corrections were the addition of Marian Amodeo in attendance and the removal of an extra line.

 

    1. TREASURER’S REPORT:  Treasurer Bob Hull presented the Cash Flow Statement as of Aug 2014, FYE 2015.  Under Other Payments/Non Budget Payments the category of “New System Expense” refers to agency holds.  The report was accepted on a motion moved by Karen R and seconded by Richard C.

 

    1. ACTION/DISCUSSION:
      1. Hamden Update (Alan) Overdrive agreed to load advantage items without displays.  Only Hamden residents will be able to see and use these items.  To do Hamden patrons will have to log in to Overdrive to access. The will not be bib records for items unique to Hamden in the catalog. This required a motion to be acted upon.  The item was moved by Richard C and seconded by Sandy R.  Deb B thanked Marian and the Hamden Public Library for this effort.The issue with C-Car and Hamden was reviewed.  Hamden is working with the State Library on reporting what is taken out and what comes in via C-Car.
      2. Training (Alan) Trainings on Sierra and/or other issues will take place at individual libraries.  This allows libraries to tailor trainings to their individual needs and also serves as an opportunity for Alan and Andy to visit all LION libraries.  Appointments will be set up.
      3. Mitchell/ELHS student cards (Beth)  Tabled.
      4. Budget (Alan) Finance committee will meet sometime in October to begin work on the budget for FYE 2016.  Reserve monies of $50,000 were allocated to Overdrive for the remainder of this fiscal year.  These monies are intended to add to items to the e-book collection.  Board was asked to consider what they would like the next budget to look like with regards to this special allocation ( i.e. should incorporate it into the budget or look at it as one time allocation).  Discussion ensued about the use of the Reserve Fund and the best methods to ensure that LION responsibly meets our patrons demand for online content.  The e-book committee was recommended to report out to the finance committee about projected need.  Bob H. interpretation is that the board is comfortable with increasing Overdrive by $50,000 but that we need to decide how to go about it.
      5. Zinio (Alan)  Zinio fees for next year will be $40,000, this reflects a reduction in their platform fee.  Staff at the Russell Library did a content analysis of magazine based on circulation and pared the Zinio content list down to 100 titles.  Individual LION library fees for Zinio will be calculated by shared participate fee combined with an usage fee.  (Handout of Zinio Fees was provided.)  Usage fee is based on circulations/downloads for a library.  As LION’s Zinio costs for this past year were $50,000 (taken from Reserves) and the projected cost is $10,000 less, these monies could be available to purchase titles from Conde Nast publications if and when negotiations make such titles as Bon Appetite and The New Yorker available.  Jane F. thanked the Russell staff for their work on Zinio.
      6. Next Meeting – Tuesday, Oct. 28 at Russell Library in Middletown. The Auditor will make his annual presentation.  This means the meeting will begin earlier than usual.  Meeting time will be 9:15. Dates for future meetings Nov. 25 and Dec 16.

 

 

    1. REPORTS
      1. LION Staff –  Alan announced that Norwich joined the LION service network.  This adds 30 more networked PCs.
      2. LION Committees
      • Nominating – none
      • Finance – Bob H. announce that the committee will meet in the next few weeks.
      • Personnel – none
      • Planning/Negotiations – none
      • Bibliographic – Colleen B. announced that there is a meeting schedule for Thursday, Oct 9 at Guilford.
      • Circulation – Bonny A. will schedule a meeting for sometime in late October/November; date TBA.
      • LUX – Janet reviewed work from Sept. 10th meeting.  Alan is developing form for libraries to respond to their own patron’s questions regarding Overdrive.  The enhancement to Zinio only removes the retail information.  As we are staying with Zinio there will be an added page to the LION website for sharing publicity and promotional ideas for libraries to use with their patrons.  Also working toward having a “train the trainer” program for Zinio.Concerns regarding backup storage were raised and there was a suggestion that we may need to invest in a central backup server.  Wallingford has network attached storage (Synology) which saves to both Wallingford and LION.  The device is quite affordable at @ $13,000.  Also noted was that Maker Spaces utilizing 3-D printers are still in the nascent stage.  Next meeting will be sometime in December.

                Dates for future meetings Nov. 25 and Dec 16.

     

      1.  OLD BUSINESS – None

       

        1. NEW BUSINESS

       

        1. Lew D. noted that both LION patrons and non-LION patrons are able to access HOOPLA.  Discussion took place that this might be an issue about setting up the proper C-Car number in a record or noting proper home library.  Alan noted that vendors work with independent libraries to assign restrictive force using information extracted from our Sierra records.  Libraries were reminded that it is their best interest, and often contractual, that vendor services are restricted to their patrons only.
        2. Deb B. raised the consideration of paying fines online.  Alan noted that this is possible in Sierra through an upgrade.  When payment is made, the fine is cleared in Sierra.  Patty would redistribute fine money to libraries accordingly.  Discussion about pros and cons ensued.  Many wondered if it could controlled by independent libraries or does it have to all LION libraries or none.

       

        1. ADJOURNMENT – Jane F. adjourned the meeting at 11:00 a.m. on a motion by Karen R. and a second by Lisa T.

         

        Next refreshments:  West Haven

         

        Respectfully submitted on October 17, 2014, by Melissa Canham-Clyne.

        Return to top

        Return to Minutes