Board Minutes 2014 06

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:30 am Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Middletown, Russell Library

 

PRESENT: Karen Jensen – BR, Cyndi Shirshac – DU, Tara Borden – EL, Richard Conroy –EX, Rob McCoole – GU, Cindy Muhlbach –HA, Marian Amodeo –HM, Gale Bradbury – LB/LG, Beth Crowley – MA, Bonny Albanese –MA, Elizabeth Davidson –MC, Deb Barberi –MD, Karen Roesler – ME, Bob Hull – NB, Lois Baldini – NH, Frances Gibbs-Karl – NL, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber –OR, Michelle Van Epps –OS, Michael Gilroy – RA, Alice Pentz –ST, Jane Fisher – WA, Janet Flewelling – WA, Todd Fabian – WD, Colleen Bailie –WM, Lew Daniels – WS, Alan Hagyard – LION, Matt Beardsley – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Rick Widlansky – LION.

I. CALL TO ORDER: President Todd F. called the meeting to order at 9:45 a.m.

II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the May 20, 2014 meeting were accepted as written on a motion by Gail B. and a second by Richard C.

V. TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer Bob Hull presented the cash flow statements for May 2014 and noted the difference between actual and budgeted income and outlays is due to purchases made through LION which will be reimbursed and recorded in next month’s report. Alan also noted that an Overdrive expense had been posted incorrectly under OPAC Enhancement and then corrected. There were no other questions. On a motion by Beth C. and a second by Mary F. the reports were placed on file for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION

1. Election of officers: The 2014/15 slate for LION Officers was presented by the Nominations Committee.

Beth Crowley – President
Jane Fisher – Vice President/President Elect
Treasurer – Bob Hull
Secretary – Melissa Canham-Clyne

There were no nominations from the floor.
Richard C. moved and Elizabeth D. seconded a motion to elect the officers presented by the Nominations Committee. Approved unanimously.

2. Zinio/Flipster – continued: Janet F. summarized EBSCO’s presentation on Flipster made at the LUX Committee meeting. It appears that the product is still in development with no clear pricing for consortiums. Consensus is that it isn’t ready for us to switch to it. LION must make a decision about renewing Zinio by September 30. Todd suggested that we try to set up a demo of Flipster at a July Board meeting. The conversation then switched to Zinio. Most members felt that we cannot drop Zinio because of the investment that has been made in training staff and patrons on its use. Discussion of fees for the service followed. A formula incorporating an equal shared fee for platform costs with proportionate fees based on a member’s use seems most agreeable. Alan will follow these guidelines and send out proposed fees for the next meeting.

3. Overdrive – Advantage/Sponsored Collections: Hamden has a fairly large collection of Overdrive e-books. Overdrive will not allow them to “be added” to LION’s collection other than as “Advantage” copies. Only Hamden cardholders will be able to borrow them. No one else will see them unless LION has a copy. To date, LION has consistently resisted allowing members to purchase Advantage Collections. Alan and Marian A. were asked to contact Overdrive once more to see if LION could “buy” Hamden’s collection.

Another way to increase LION’s Overdrive collection is through a “sponsored collections” program that allows recognition for donations of e-books. A sponsored collection is available to all LION members. Several libraries are thinking of asking their Friends or others to donate money to help build our collection.

4. Network connections – future: Connecting Hamden branches has made LION look at network connections in general. Soon there will be no DSL through AT&T so LION must look towards the future. LION has 22 locations still on DSL, 6 paid by LION not CEN. Rick is getting prices from Comcast, and AT&T. There could be significant savings if LION applies for USF rebates. Rick will continue to investigate this situation.

5. The next meeting: August 26, 2014 will be at Willoughby Wallace Memorial Library in Stony Creek. Dates for future meetings: September 30, October 28, November 25 and December 16.

VII. REPORTS

1) LION staff:

Alan will be on vacation from the last week in June through July 9.

Matt noted that the schedules for PC replacements and updates were distributed. Members should keep in mind that OPAC’s that are running on XP should be “retired” soon.

Rick apologized for the “mysterious” e-mail problems which have occurred and announced that Otis Library is getting fiber.

Andy has been working on bringing Hamden’s records over and the tests look good. He will be training Hamden staff for a July start date.

2) LION Committees


– Nominating: None

– Finance: None

– Personnel: None

– Planning/Negotiations: None

– Bibliographic: Next meeting will be late Fall

– Circulation: The issue of allowing students from Mitchell College and East Lyme High School to use their student library card to borrow from LION public library members was discussed. A decision will be made at the next Board meeting.

– LUX: The committee met and, besides being shown Flipster, had a demo of Novelist Select which all agreed was better than Library Thing. No pricing was available. The committee will get more information. The rest of the committee meeting was spent on the new e-book selection committee.

– eBooks: Most libraries volunteered members for this committee. An email address has been established for the group, ODselect@lioninc.org . The committee will take care of patron initiated requests and make decisions on titles that have expiring licenses. Workflow decisions have not yet been formulated. The biggest issue with developing this collection is funding. We have not been funding enough to meet the demand for these materials. The committee will work on a budget proposal for next year and all members should be prepared to allocate more funds for this collection.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS: Gayle B. asked when the Agency Holds product that was approved at the May meeting would be installed and activated. Alan H. reported that it was ordered but that he did not know when it will be available.

IX. NEW BUSINESS: There will be a meeting scheduled in July for a Flipster demonstration. The date and time to be determined.

X. ADJOURNMENT: Todd F. adjourned the meeting at 11:45 on a motion by Jane F. and a second by Cyndi S. Next Refreshments: Willoughby Wallace, Stony Creek

Return to top

Return to Minutes