Board Minutes 2014 05

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:30 am Tuesday, May 20, 2014
New London – Mitchell College

PRESENT: Melissa Canham-Clyne – BE, Karen Jensen – BR, Kathleen Sasso – EH, Lisa Timothy –EL, Richard Conroy –EX, Rob McCoole – GU, Cindy Muhlbach –HA, Gale Bradbury – LB/LG, Bonny Albanese –MA, Beth Crowley – MA, Elizabeth Davidson –MC, Deb Barberi –MD, Karen Roesler – ME, Lois Baldini – NH, Cornell McNair – NW, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber –OR, Michelle Van Epps –OS, Michael Gilroy – RA, Jane Fisher – WA, Janet Flewelling – WA, Todd Fabian – WD, Kathy Giotsas –WM, Lew Daniels – WS, Alan Hagyard – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Justin Strickland – LION.

 

I. CALL TO ORDER: Todd F. called the meeting to order at 9:46 a.m. Mary Ellen Jukoski, Ed.D, President of Mitchell College welcomed all.

 

II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None

 

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

 

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the April 23, 2014 meeting were accepted as written on a motion by Mary F. and a second by Gale B.

 

V. TREASURER'S REPORT: Alan H., in the absence of Treasurer, Bob Hull presented the cash flow statements for April 2014 noting that the significant difference between Member Sales deposits vs. expenses in the March report was rectified by receiving payment for the equipment ordered late in March. There were no questions. On a motion by Beth C. and a second by Elizabeth D. the report was placed on file for audit.

 

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION

  1.  Agency Hold product: A written description of Sierra’s Agency Hold product and pricing was distributed. This product will enable LION members with branches (currently six) to fill their patron holds at all branches before lending to other LION members. The price for this product has been reduced significantly.

     

    Gale B. moved and Michael G. seconded a motion to authorize LION to purchase Sierra’s Agency Hold product with funds from reserves. Approved unanimously.
     

  2. Change to Circulation Notice Format: Alan explained how changing the format of printed notices will improve the display of notices sent via e-mail or text. The change in format will, however, result in a small percentage of notices requiring two mailers instead of one. After a brief discussion, Jane F. moved and Richard C. seconded a motion to change the format of print overdue notices to improve e-mail and text notice displays. Approved unanimously.
     
  3. Zinio continued: A list of RB Digital’s Zinio platform costs for individual libraries was distributed. A list of what LION might charge libraries for platform plus content fees was also listed. Todd F. asked members to contact him if they might consider offering Zinio on their own. He will reconvene the Ad Hoc Zinio committee to discuss this service before the June meeting.
     
  4. The next meeting: June 17, 2014, 9:30 a.m. at the Russell Library.

 

VII. REPORTS

  1. LION staff: Alan reported that LION and Hamden are still working with CEN to improve network connectivity. Existing connections will work for now. Conversion of records is moving along and staff training will begin soon. Target date for “going live” with circulation is July 22.

     

    Alan and Andy went to Innovative’s User Group Conference (IUG) and Alan volunteered LION as a beta test site for a new product “Mobile Work Lists”. This product allows staff to get lists (such as the “holds pick list”) on their tablet or iPhone to carry to the shelves. Items can then be scanned using the handheld device. Innovative will contact Alan if LION is selected to test this new product. Beta sites get a discount after the trials if they wish to purchase it.

    Alan received a question from a patron asking whether someone with a Mitchell College or East Lyme H.S. library card could use it at any other LION member library. This issue will be referred to the Circulation Committee.

    Andy has been working on Hamden’s conversion and noted that records will be suppressed until they are up and running. Jason reported that several members had contacted the office about the end of Windows XP support. There is no reason to be concerned yet but we should be all moving to Windows 7 and/or 8 over the next year.
     

  2. LION Committees

     

    • Nominating: The slate of officers for FY 2014/15 has been set and is as follows: The slate will be presented for election at the June Board meeting.

       

      Beth Crowley, President
      Jane Fisher – Vice President/President Elect
      Treasurer – Bob Hull
      Secretary – Melissa Canham-Clyne
       

    • Finance: None
       
    • Personnel: None
       
    • Planning/Negotiations: None
       
    • Bibliographic: At the last meeting various bib practices and procedures were discussed and minor changes made to the Bib Manual to assist members in using the correct procedures.
       
    • Circulation: Meeting to be scheduled in early June
       
    • LUX: Meeting scheduled for June 10 in Wallingford
       
    • E-Book Development: Deb Barberi will chair this committee and has received a good response of volunteers. They will be meeting soon to formulate a committee description. The intent is for this committee to take on the e-book / downloadable audio selection responsibilities previous handled by a few members of the LUX committee.

     

    VIII. OLD BUSINESS: None

    IX. NEW BUSINESS: It was noted that several libraries are interested in tutorials or a workshop on creating lists. Meryl F. noted the interest of several members in touring the LION Office. Todd F. will look into arranging for a tour after the June meeting at the Russell Library

    X. ADJOURNMENT: On a Motion by Beth C. and a second by Meryl F. the meeting was adjourned at 11:13 a.m.

    Next Refreshments: Rathbun/East Haddam

Return to top

Return to Minutes