Board Minutes 2014 04

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:30 am Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Wallingford – Wallingford Public Library – Collins Room

 

PRESENT:  Melissa Canham-Clyne – BE, Karen Jensen – BR, Trish Connolly – DU, Cyndi Shirshac – DU, Kathleen Sasso – EH, Lisa Timothy –EL, Richard Conroy –EX, Sandy Ruoff – GU, Cindy Muhlbach –HA, Marian Amodeo –HM, Gale Bradbury – LB/LG, Bonny Albanese –MA, Elizabeth Davidson –MC, Deb Barberi –MD, Karen Roesler – ME, Bob Hull – NB, Lois Baldini – NH, Cornell McNair – NW, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber –OR, Michelle Van Epps –OS, Michael Gilroy – RA, Alice Pentz –ST, Jane Fisher – WA, Janet Flewelling – WA, Todd Fabian – WD, Colleen Bailie –WM, Lew Daniels – WS, Alan Hagyard – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Rick Widlansky – LION.

 

I. CALL TO ORDER:  Todd F. called the meeting to order at 9:38 a.m. and asked that everyone introduce themselves since many new members were present.

 

II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None

 

III. PUBLIC COMMENT:  None

 

 

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:   The date on the heading needs to read January 21, 2014 not December 17, 2013.  Also Richard Conroy and Lois Baldini were listed as present and they were not.  On a motion by Sandy G. and a second by Mary F. the minutes of the January 21, 2014 meeting were accepted as corrected.

 

V. TREASURER'S REPORT:   Treasurer Bob Hull presented the cash flow statements for January 2014, February 2014, and March 2014.   He noted the significant difference between Member Sales deposits vs. expenses in the March report.  Alan explained that there was a large order placed in March which was just billed in April.  The deposits will be reflected in the April financial report.  There were no other questions.  On a motion by Melissa C. and a second by Sandy R. the reports were placed on file for audit. 

 

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION

 

  1. FY 2015 Budget:  Alan H. presented the proposed budget for FY 2014/15 which had been approved by the Finance Committee.  A 5% increase in salaries and additional hours for Karan Conover were proposed.  The proposed raise took into consideration the staff’s increased workload due to the addition of several new members, the importance of retaining the high performance level/expertise of the current staff, and the fact that most members annual fees will decrease despite the raise in salaries. Discussion followed with the recommendation that next year’s budget include a detailed breakdown of salaries and comparisons with other IT professional salaries. Alan’s goal is to have a proposed budget ready by November 1 each year to assist members in the preparation of their own budgets.

On a motion by Richard C. and a second by Meryl F., the proposed budget for 2014/15 was approved as presented.

 

  1. Overdrive/Downloadable options:  Alan reported that LION cannot meet the self-imposed holds ratio, individual title spending cap, patron recommendation requests, and replacements for “metered” titles, with our current budget based on assessed fees to member libraries.  Todd F. suggested that a new committee or task force be established for E-Book Collection Development.  He has someone in mind to be chairperson.  Besides selecting titles for purchase, the committee will review the issues involved and the finances needed to build a good digital collection.  Eventually every member should have a representative on the committee.  Consensus was that LION should proceed with the idea of a new committee.  Todd will send an e-mail asking Directors to appoint someone to the committee.  To alleviate the immediate needs, Sandy R. moved and Richard C. seconded a motion to use $4,000 from reserves for the purchase of e-books.  The motion passed unanimously. 

 

  1. Zinio:  The contract for Zinio doesn’t expire until October 1, 2014.  The six month usage report shows growing but still relatively low use.  Zinio requires a $40,000 platform fee with Recorded Books which is unlikely to be negotiable.  Subscriptions to the 100 plus magazines that we currently get cost approximately $10,000.  If LION decides to continue with Zinio in November, members must be ready to pay for it.  A suggested fee schedule was distributed.   We have six months to decide how to proceed.  Todd will forward information on how much platform fees would be for individual libraries if subscribing as a single entity as opposed to being a LION member.  Sandy R. suggested that we meet monthly to keep up to date on the many issues being considered including Zinio.  The Board agreed.

 

  1. Hamden update (Alan):  Data loading is underway. There have been some challenges with adding Hamden to the network.  Marian A. reported that the Hamden staff has been weeding and cleaning up their database.  The main branch (Miller) is the sole C-Car stop.  The library then transports items to their branches. This information is helpful to LION members in planning space for intraloan borrows and returns.

 

  1. Next meeting: May 20, 2014 at 9:30 a.m. at Mitchell College, New London.  The meeting after that will be on June 17, 2014 at 9:30 a.m. at Russell Library, Middletown  at which the election for officers will take place.

 

VII.      REPORTS

 

  1. LION staff:  Alan reported that Ledyard and other member libraries are interested in an “agency hold” product from Innovative which will allow branch library holds to take precedence over non-branch holds in the queue.  This product costs $27,500 and has an annual maintenance fee.  Alan will send out more detailed information and the Board will discuss it at the May meeting.

Alan is also proposing a change in the layout of print notices which will eliminate the display problems with e-mail notices received on smart phones.

 

Wallingford tried out the online registration feature that LION acquired from Innovative.  Over the past few months only around a dozen people applied online and came in to get their official card.  Despite this, Wallingford is planning on continuing to provide the service as it does not create addition work and it very helpful to patrons who wish to use it.  Members can decide individually if they would like to use it.  Contact Alan if interested.

 

Andy reported that there is an incremental Sierra update coming soon and he will send out a notice to alert members when the install occurs which will affect the morning logins.  Andy and Alan will be attending the Innovative Users Group (IUG) annual meeting on May 6-9.

 

Rick noted that libraries with DSL connections may be affected by the national reduction of ATT staff.  It is critically important that they lobby CEN to get moved to fiber connections.  Also, a new release has come out for our mail program.  This will be loaded after hours but users will see some changes.

 

  1. LION Committees
  • Nominating:  Meeting to be scheduled before the June Board meeting.
  • Finance:  Already reported under Budget  
  • Personnel:  None
  • Planning/Negotiations:  None
  • Bibliographic: Meeting scheduled April 30
  • Circulation:  Meeting to be scheduled in May 
  • LUX:  Already reported under Overdrive and Zinio sections.  Any member who would like to see a “Help” screen made or changed in the OPAC, should write out the directions and send it to Alan.

 

VIII. OLD BUSINESS:  Mitchell Library is “fighting” to get a C-Car pick-up at the college.  At the present, they carry books over to the New London library.

 

IX. NEW BUSINESS:  None

 

X. ADJOURNMENT:  On a Motion by Trish C. and a second by Melissa C. the meeting was adjourned at 12:05 p.m.

 

Next Refreshments: Public Library of New London

 

Return to top

Return to Minutes