Board Minutes 2010 08

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Meeting
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Russell Library, Middletown

 

PRESENT:  Kathy Rieger—BR, Cyndi Shirshac—DU, Marie Shaw—EH, Lydia Main—EL, Richard Conroy—EX, Sandy Ruoff—GU, Gale Bradbury—LB/LG, Marcia Sokolnicki—MA, Bonny Albanese – MA, Vince Juliano—MD, Karen Roesler—ME, Suzanne Maryeski—NL, Cornell McNair—NW,  Mary Fiorelli—OL, Meryl Farber—OR, Kelly Marszycki—RA, Leslie Scherer—WA, Alan Hagyard—LION, Andy Gardner—LION,  Rick Widlansky—LION, Matt Beardsley—LION

I.  CALL TO ORDER:  President, Kathy Rieger called the meeting to order at 9:36 A.M.

II.  ADDITIONS TO AGENDA:   None

III.  PUBLIC COMMENT:  Thank you to the staff for the nice Libraries Online, Inc. pens distributed to all attending.

IV.  APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The minutes of June 22, 2010 meeting were accepted on a motion by Lydia M. and seconded by Mary F. and the minutes of the Special Meeting of July 27, 2010 were accepted on a motion by Kelly M. and seconded by Sandy R.

V.  TREASURER’S REPORT:   Treasurer Richard Conroy will arrive late, so Alan presented the reports for June and July, noting that there was one more week of payroll in FY 2009/10.   President, Kathy R. called for the reports to be filed for audit.

VI.  ACTION/DISCUSSION

  1.  LION Expansion.  As determined by the special meeting held in July, LION’s first priority was to talk to the LEAP library directors.  Alan reported on his conversation with LEAP Executive Director Diana Sellers.  The LEAP directors would like to meet with LION representatives on September 8, 11:30 p.m. at the North Haven Library.  Alan will work on confirming that date, or another, and contact the Board.  Several LION Directors will accompany Alan.  It was noted that the importance, ease and cost savings of “Transit Holds” should be emphasized at the meeting.
     
  2. Fees and Services Task Force.  Alan reported on the Task Force meeting of August 18.  The group is making progress on defining a formula for fees.  Generally, they will include a Base Fee (same for all libraries and higher than the current amount used) + Per Staff Port Fee + Per Computer in the Building Fee + Fee for LION support of special technology (such as Time and Print Management systems).  There will be credits for the libraries that have their municipalities/IT departments manage their public computers.  Three Staff Ports will be included in the Base Fee.  Alan and the Committee are trying to work with numbers that keep libraries fees approximately the same as they are now.  The Committee is not far enough along to share numbers with the Board yet.  It will, however, meet again very soon since a set formula will be necessary to determine the cost for potential new member libraries. Members were encouraged to go back to their libraries and determine how many staff ports they are really using.
     
  3. Next Regular Board Meeting:  October 26, 2010.   Rathbun will provide the refreshments. 

VII.  REPORTS

  1. LION Staff
  • Matt B. – No report.
  • Rick W. – LION will be replacing our inadequate firewall software to a new system that is large enough to grow with LION.  The preliminary cost estimate is $12,000.  A motion to allow Alan to determine how to pay for the upgrade including using reserves was made by Leslie S. and seconded by Lydia M.  Approved unanimously.
  • Andy G. – Millennium upgrade will be loaded on September 14 and the process should be seamless.  Most of the changes will be in Circulation. He will send out a summary of the changes before the upgrade is initiated.  Leslie S. asked if Offline Circ could be used if there is downtime because of the upgrade.  Andy was unsure.
  • Alan H.  – Encouraged all members to call the office for advice, assistance or support because that is why they are there.
  1.  LION Committees

    1. Nominating – Needs to meet soon to select nominees for Offices for the upcoming election at the Annual Meeting in December.  Kathy R. questioned the rationale of having the Annual Meeting in December when the Fiscal Year ends in June.  Perhaps this should be addressed when reviewing the bylaws.
    2. Finance – No Report
    3. Personnel – Still working on Alan’s performance appraisal
    4. Planning and Negotiations – No Report
    5. Bibliographic – Next meeting on September 22 at 9:30 a.m.
    6. Circulation – Next meeting in September, exact date not yet determined
    7. PAC – No Report

VIII.  OLD BUSINESS:  None.

IX.  NEW BUSINESS:  None.

X.  ADJOURNMENT:  Kathy R. adjourned the meeting at 11:00 AM.

Respectfully submitted,

Karen Roesler
Secretary

Return to top

Return to Minutes