Board Minutes 2009 12

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Regular Meeting
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Russell Library, Middletown

PRESENT:  Bonny Albanese, MA; Matt Beardsley, LION; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Richard Conroy, EX; Lew Daniels, WS; Meryl Farber, OR; Mary Fiorelli, OL; Janet Flewelling, WA; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Vince Juliano, MD ; Lydia Main, EL; Kelly Marszycki, RA; Cornell McNair, NW; Cindy Muhlbach, HA; Kathy Rieger, BR; Karen Roesler, ME; Sandy Ruoff, GU; Tara Samul, NL; Leslie Scherer, WA; Lynn Serra, WD; Marie Shaw, EH; Cyndi Shirshac, DU; Rick Widlansky.

I. CALL TO ORDER:  Kathy R. called the meeting to order at 10:27 A.M.

II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA:   CPA Michael Solakian will present the annual audit.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT:  None

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The minutes of November 3, 2009 were accepted on a motion by Sandy R. and a second by Vince J.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT:  Richard C. referred to handouts of the October and November 2009 reports.  There were no questions.  The Reports were filed for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION

  1.  Election of officers:  The Board elected the following slate of officers for 2010, as moved by Mary F. and seconded by Sandy R:  Kathy Rieger – President; Cindy Muhlbach – Vice-President; Richard Conroy – Treasurer; Karen Roesler – Secretary.
  2. Alan H. reported that Colchester, which had previously inquired about membership in LION, is now seeking proposals from 3 automation consortia.  There was discussion as to whether or not LION should proceed with its proposal and whether or not LION could support another library without additional staff time and without raising fees for all members.

MOTION:  Leslie S. moved and Sandy R. seconded that LION prepare a membership proposal for Colchester with the requirement that the annual fee for Colchester cover the cost of a part-time position, should such a position be needed to service Colchester.  Motion passed. Alan H. reminded the Board that the LION fee structure and its services need to be reviewed because current fees are based on a system that no longer exists and LION staff perform functions that have evolved over time.

  1. Alan H. and Janet L. explained the approach taken with the proposed new PAC display.  Board members provided feedback and Alan asked if the PAC Committee should continue revising the display along the same lines as seen so far.  MOTION:  Marie S. moved and Gale B. seconded that the PAC Committee continue further development of the new PAC interface.  Motion passed.
  2. Alan H. distributed samples of a laser printed notice to replace the current NCR forms that have been a problem.  He said that the laser forms are only marginally more costly than the current ones, will not smudge, include room for more items per notice, and have space for timely messages or information about LION.  Converting will require purchase of a laser printer and folder/sealer unit.  MOTION:  Sandy R. moved and Vince J. seconded that LION implement the new notices when we exhaust the supply of current notices.  Motion passed.
  3. Alan H. updated Board members on downloadable eBook service options available from Overdrive.  He showed Board members two different types of reading devices.  Alan reminded everyone that, while Amazon’s Kindle required a proprietary format, Overdrive titles are in “ePub” format, the de facto open standard.

MOTION:  Sandy R. moved and Lynn S. seconded that LION use $4,700 of reserve funds for 260 Overdrive eBook titles as a one-year trial of this service.  Motion passed.

  1. Next Board Meeting:  February 23, 2010.  Meriden will provide refreshments.

VII, REPORTS

  1. Michael Solakian, CPA, gave a brief presentation of the annual audit that had been distributed at the Annual Meeting.  He observed that LION is in good financial condition, especially when compared to many non-profit organizations at this time.
  2. LION Staff

    • Rick W. reported a curious increase in spyware appearing on staff PCs.  He will install a filter on the whole LION system.
  3. LION Committees

    • Alan H. reported that the Planning Committee had met in November to discuss implementation of Strategic Plan goals.  More meetings are needed.
    • Lydia M. reported that the bibliographic upgrade had gone well and that Innovative Interfaces has not yet adopted national record format changes that were recently introduced.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS:  None.

IX. NEW BUSINESS:  None.

X. ADJOURNMENT:Kathy R. wished everyone a happy holiday season and adjourned the meeting at 11:47AM.

Respectfully submitted,

Vince Juliano Secretary

Return to top

Return to Minutes