Board Minutes 2009 11

LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Meeting
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Russell Library, Middletown

PRESENT:  Bonny Albanese, MA; Deb Barberi, MD; Suzanne Bartels, MC; Matt Beardsley, LION; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Richard Conroy, EX; Lew Daniels, WS; Jan Day, WD; Meryl Farber, OR; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Vince Juliano, MD ; Lydia Main, EL; Kelly Marszycki, RA; Suzann Maryeski, NL; Cornell McNair, NW; Cindy Muhlbach, HA; Kathy Rieger, BR; Karen Roesler, ME; Sandy Ruoff, GU; Leslie Scherer, WA; Cyndi Shirshac, DU; Rick Widlansky.

I.  CALL TO ORDER:   Kathy R. called the meeting to order at 9:37 AM.  She welcomed Suzanne Maryeski and asked board members to introduce themselves.

II.  ADDITIONS TOAGENDA:  There were no additions.

III.  PUBLIC COMMENT:  There were no additions.

IV.  APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The minutes of August 25, 2009 were approved on a motion from Lew D. and a second by Gale B.

V.  TREASURER’S REPORT:  Richard C. reviewed the reports of July, August, and September 2009.  There were no questions and the reports were filed for audit.

VI.  ACTION/DISCUSSION

  1. Richard C. and Alan H. reviewed the LION “Allocation Budget FY 2011” and answered questions.  Alan explained that the LION budget for the next fiscal year is not approved at this time, but is drafted and made available to member libraries so they may better plan local budget requests.  It appears no dues increase will be required for FY 2011.
  2. Matt B. referred board members to a PC allocation schedule for the past three fiscal years and the tentative replacement schedule for FY 2010.  The Dell computers will have Windows 7 installed.  Matt has tested Win7 and is confident about using it on staff PCs, but not for public PCs because, at this time, there is no Win7 software available for securing them.  Microsoft will not update Steady State for this purpose, but other vendors almost certainly will.  The machines are Optiflex 780 models and are externally similar in footprint and monitor size to the current 740 model.
  3. NEXT MEETING:  December 22, 2009; Annual meeting – 9:00; Regular Meeting – 9:30; Russell Library is responsible for refreshments.

VII.  REPORTS

  1. LION Staff

    • Alan alerted board members that some patrons who own smart phones may ask about scanning their recorded barcodes off the phone instead of their library cards.  He explained that some library scanners may not read the barcodes this way.  However, technology keeps improving, so local libraries may need to set their own policies on this.  Connecticard regulations require that non-resident patrons show valid cards from their local public library.

      Alan is investigating a way for smart phone users to better access the OPAC.  He will see what III offers for free and how labor intensive implementation would be.

      There is patron interest in downloading e-books.  Alan will check what Overdrive offers in terms of available titles and cost, and send information to member libraries.  Several members felt that, if LION decides to offer downloadable e-books, it should support the most open format available.

    • Andy reported that his stale hold reports have improved transit hold responses, but that there are still delays.  Libraries experiencing delays should consider contacting the director of libraries they feel are causing the delays.

      Andy has established “III FAQ,” where he has posted answers to recurring questions he gets from library staff.  LION members should send him additional questions.

    • Rick is working on a new email server and is targeting December for implementation.  He added that non-Roman characters will start appearing on the Internet next year.
  2. LION Committees

    • Nominating:  Will submit a slate of officers at the December meeting.
    • Planning:  Will meet after the Board meeting.
    • Bibliographic:  Will meet in mid-December.
    • Circulation:  Met in October.  NCR notices are becoming smudged in the mailing process and do not look presentable.  Alan is reviewing alternate solutions.
    • PAC:  Members are seeking a more up-to-date “look” for the OPAC.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS:  None

IX. NEW BUSINESS:  None

X. ADJOURNMENT:   Meeting adjourned at 11:00 AM

Vince Juliano, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Minutes