Board Minutes 2008 06

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
June 24, 2008
Russell Library, Middletown, CT

 

PRESENT:  Matt Beardsley, LION; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Katie Brossard, MC; Peter Ciparelli, NL; Richard Conroy, EX; Meryl Farber, OR; Mary Fiorelli, OL; Andy Gardiner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Vince Juliano, MD; Kelly Marszycki, RA; Cornell McNair, NW; Cindy Muhlbach, HA; Betty Page, ST; Kathy Rieger, BR; Suzanne Risley, MC; Karen Roesler, ME; Leslie Scherer, WA; Lynn Serra, WD; Marie Shaw, EH; Cyndi Shirshac, DU; Paula Soares, MD; Marcia Sokolnicki, MA.

I.  CALL TO ORDER:  Kathy Rieger called the meeting to order at 9:37

II.  ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA:  Since there were several new people present, Kathy asked everyone to introduce themselves

III.  PUBLIC COMMENT:  None.

IV.  APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  The minutes of the May 27, 2008 meeting were approved with the following correction.  Under REPORTS, the motion should read that “Andy work up to one day per week in New London.”

V.  TREASURER'S REPORT:  May 2008, Kelly had no comments to add to the report.  It will be filed for audit.

VI.  ACTION/DISCUSSION:

  1. Orange:  Kathy and Alan welcomed Meryl to the meeting.  Alan reported that Orange would come up on Tuesday, July 1 and that the conversion work had gone well.  Meryl thanked the LION staff for all of the work they have done.
  2. PC Replacement:  Matt distributed a schedule for the replacement of LION PCs in member libraries.  To avoid libraries having to stockpile the machines for a long period, LION will order PCs on a monthly basis.
  3. Holds policies:

    1. Alan said that several libraries had signed on for the three month experiment to extend more generous lending policies to residents of other LION communities.

    2. Alan reported on a holds-related problem involving “on order” records.  He will draft a policy statement to clarify the problem and recommend a solution.
  4. Strategic Plan:  Suzanne reported that the Planning Committee will meet today to organize and reformat results from the Planning Retreat.  Katie will add all Board members and Alternates, along with those who attended the Retreat, to the list of participants who can comment directly on the Planning blog.  Other LION member staff members will be able to access the blog and may comment to Board members, but will not be able to comment directly on the blog.
  5. Next Meeting:  August 26, 9:30 AM, Russell Library.

VII.  REPORTS

  1. LION staff:

    1. Alan has implemented use of the Google survey function to replace the III OPAC comments feature because it is more easily customized, provides better reports for analysis, and is less susceptible to spam.
    2. Patron reading history will be activated this week for all member libraries except those who have opted out.
    3. The preferred searches email notification function was not operating because it had never been activated.  It will be turned on this week.
    4. Alan will email more information on these changes to members.
    5. Work continues on the re-design of the web site.
    6. Andy thanked the Board for allowing him to work one day per week in New London.
    7. Andy will load Orange's “gap tape” this week to bring their records up-to-date for going live on LION next week.
    8. Matt prepared a sheet with specifications for desktop and laptop machines with pricing for libraries who want to order additional PCs.
  2. LION Committees:

VIII.  OLD BUSINESS:  Kathy called attention to the updated Board Member List that was distributed with the agenda.

IX.  NEW BUSINESS:

  1. There have been recent outages, apparently related to power brown-outs.
  2. The III function for allowing patrons to pay fines online is a costly option that must be centrally administered.  This may change in a future release.

X.  ADJOURNMENT: The meeting adjourned at 10:28 on a motion by Leslie.

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes