Board Minutes 2007 12

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
December 18, 2007
Russell Library, Middletown, Connecticut

PRESENT: Kelly Marszycki, RA; Bridget Quinn-Carey, EX; Lydia Main, EL; Jan Day, WB; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Pat Johnson, WA; Cyndi Shushac, DU; Marie Shaw, EH; Katie Brossard, MC; Michelle Baker, ME; Lew Daniels, WS; Cornell McNair, NW; Nancy Wardell GU; Marcia Sokolnicki, MA; Bonny Albanese, MA; Peter Ciparelli, NL; Paula Soares, MD; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Mary Fiorelli, OL; Kathy Rieger, BR; Matt Beardsley, LION; Rick Widlansky, LION; Cindy Muhlbach, HA.

ABSENT: ST.

I. CALL TO ORDER at 9:47 a.m.

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: Mary asked for a comment from Alan regarding his son who was in a serious bicycle accident. Alan reported that his son is improving but still hospitalized.

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the November 27th were approved as written.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Kelly had no additional comments to the treasurer’s report. There being no questions or discussion of the report, it will be filed for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION

  1. OVERDRIVE: (proposal in packet) Alan worked on 3 different proposals for the payment of OVERDRIVE in 2008/2009. There was discussion regarding the 3 different proposals with Board members looking at the cost sharing from their own vantage point. There was a comment about using reserves as a way to enhance the content as opposed to using reserves for fixed costs. A question was asked about changing the loan period and Alan said that it cannot be done selectively, but can be done globally to whatever period we would like. There was another comment about seeing the content beefed up, especially children’s and YA books. Proposal 3 (with some modification) is currently the most popular with the Board, so Alan will rework it for the next meeting.
  2. LIBRARY THING: Alan negotiated a fee of $5,000 for Library Thing. It is ready for a live launch. Alan will work up some introductory comments and get it attached to the catalog. For this fiscal year we will only pay $1,800 since we have less than a year left.
  3. PLANNING/NEGOTIATIOINS: (notes in packet) Katie reported that Keven McCarthy met with several Board members and the Executive Committee to get the process for a Strategic Plan started. He guided the discussion somewhat, but also gave the group free rein to make whatever comments they felt were important. He will meet with the LION staff in January and attend the January Board meeting to get every members input. He is also planning to send a survey out to the membership to help with the process.
  4. NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be January 22nd at 9:30 a.m. in Russell.

VII. REPORTS

  1. LION staff:
    • Andy recently attended a workshop which he found helpful and interesting called “Exploding the OPAC.”
  2. LION Committees:
    • Nominating – no report
    • Finance – no report
    • Personnel – no report
    • Bib – Pat reported that they met and discussed numerous “housekeeping” issues.
    • Circ – January 17th is the next meeting
    • PAC – met in November and discussed “Library Thing.” They will meet again in February. Rick talked about exceptions to the PACs when they are dedicated PCs. If any library is not able to get graphics such as bookcovers, etc. on their PCs, let Rick know.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS – None

IX. NEW BUSINESS – None

X. ADJOUURNMENT

Mary asked for a motion to adjourn at 10:42 a.m. Bridget so moved.

Respectfully submitted,

Kathy Rieger, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes