Board Minutes 2007 06

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
July 24, 2007
Essex Library, Essex, Connecticut

PRESENT: Katie Brossard, MC; Bridget Quinn-Carey, EX; Lydia Main, EL; Jan Day, WB; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Leslie Scherer WA; Cornell McNair, NW; Vince Juliano, MD; Nancy Wardell GU; Nancy Lauretano, ME; Sandy Long, MA; Valerie Kilmartin, DU; Pat Johnson, Bib Committee; Ann Penfield, HA; Cindy Muhlbach, HA; Lew Daniels, WS; Matt Beardsley, LION; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Mary Fiorelli, OL; Kathy Rieger, BR.

ABSENT: NL; RA; EH; ST;

I.  CALL TO ORDER at 9:34 a.m.

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III.  PUBLIC COMMENT: Ann introduced Cindy Muhlbach, new library director at Brainerd Memorial Library. This is Ann’s last LION meeting since she is retiring from Brainerd.

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the May 29th meeting were moved to be accepted by Gale and seconded by Lydia. 20 were in favor. One abstained.

V.  TREASURER’S REPORT: Alan reviewed the treasurer’s report in Kelly’s absence.  The treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

VI.  ACTION/DISCUSSION

  1. CASE MEMORIAL IN ORANGE:  Alan sent a proposal to Case Memorial at the end of June which they are still working through.  Meryl Farber, director at Case is interested in attending the next LION Board meeting which no one voiced an objection to.  The Chair of the Case Memorial Board has invited Alan to their September board meeting.  He will attend along with Jan Day who volunteered to go as “a satisfied customer” of LION.  Case Memorial is a III library and a member of LEAP.  There are currently 5 libraries in LEAP; West Haven, Orange (Case); North Haven; East Haven; and North Branford.  Alan mentioned that Case Memorial will need to let LEAP know by November if they are in or out.  Alan discussed the various costs to Case regarding joining LION.  Vince asked if the Board needed to empower Alan to adjust the fees with this particular proposal.  After some discussion, the general consensus was that Alan negotiate the best deal for LION taking into consideration Case’s particular position.
  2. OVERDRIVE:  The Overdrive project is moving forward.  There have been 2 training sessions and one more will be forthcoming.  The “go-live” date is August 1, 2007.  There are 50 “always available” titles (Blackstone titles) which means that as many LION patrons as want can borrow these titles at the same time.  The other 275 titles are 1 title, 1 use.  The committee that was charged with selecting titles purchased ones that are both very current and very popular.  All titles check out for 14 days and are only renewable in there are no holds.  Only 3 titles are allowed per patron at any one time and only 3 holds allowed per patron.  If more holds were allowed there is a strong possibility that the system would be  in danger of crashing.  Alan is looking into inexpensive MP3’s to possibly purchase for member libraries to loan to patrons.  Many stores offer inexpensive MP3’s as well; BestBuy, buy.com, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart.  Alan will also put a note on the website concerning iPods and why they cannot be used with Overdrive.  The only workaround is by downloading the book on a computer, burning it to disks, and uploading on an iPod.  Each book could take up as much as 11 disks making this quite a tedious process.  Keep in mind that LION members need to strongly promote this new service.  Alan will order business card size promotional handouts to distribute to each library.  Overdrive can make modifications along the way, so if members have questions or comments please let Alan know.
  3. BIBLIOGRAPHIC MANUAL: Pat reported that the Bib Manual is ready.  The aim of Karan and the committee was to rid the manual of information no longer relevant, make information clearer, and have the manual available on-line.  Mary asked if there was any discussion about the manual.  Lew thanked the committee for their hard work.  Lydia moved that we accept the new Bib Manual and Nancy seconded.  The motion was accepted unanimously.
  4. LIBRARY THING: Valerie attended a presentation on this product by Danbury Library and would like LION to consider this product for members.  This is a product that makes a library catalog more user-friendly, gives users book recommendations, and hooks users up with others in “book-club” fashion, etc.  Alan will look into it further as well as investigate the III product Encore which is similar.  Alan will also send an email to LION members on how to access the Danbury Library’s beta test for Library Thing. Several people emphasized that this kind of product is important for LION to offer should be pursued.
  5. NEXT MEETING: It was the general consensus that we not meet in August.  The next meeting will be September 25th at the Otis Library in Norwich with Willoughby-Wallace in charge of refreshments.

VII. REPORTS

  1. LION staff:
    • Andy has been working with Mitchell College to set up for their students, off-site access for their databases.  Andy has also been working on database clean-up by getting rid of duplicate records.  He again offered to help any library that wants individual loan rules.  A question was asked about getting Baker & Taylor order records.  If you are not one of the 4 libraries with the acquisition module, you should contact Eric at B&T for this feature.  Also if you want order records for other vendors, speak first with the vendor.
    • Matt is working on installation of new computers and resetting the older IBM’s.  Check the schedule on-line to find where he is in the process.
    • Alan was asked by LEAP to meet with their Board and talk about Overdrive.  He also reported that the Statistics committee met and they are working diligently to get better reports from III.  The OPAC renewals chart can now be broken down by library and patron type.
  2. LION Committees:
    • Nominating – no report
    • Finance – no report
    • Personnel – no report
    • Planning/Negotiations – no report, although the planning session is under discussion.
    • Bibliographic – no report
    • Circulation – will schedule a meeting before the Sept. Board meeting
    • PAC – no report

VIII. OLD BUSINESS

Cornell asked a question about the new statistic reports.  Alan explained that the information can easily be placed in an excel spread sheet.  There will be an instructional manual emailed to everyone.

IX. NEW BUSINESS

Katie mentioned that there are 3 positions opened at Mitchell College.  She will email everyone the details.

X. ADJOUURNMENT

Mary asked for a motion to adjourn at 11:33 a.m.  Lydia made the motion and Jan seconded.  The group adjourned to attend a luncheon honoring Ann Penfield who is retiring.

XI. NEXT MEETING

Tuesday, September 25th at Otis Library with Willoughby Wallace responsible for refreshments.

Respectfully submitted,

Kathy Rieger, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes