Board Minutes 2007 05

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
May 29, 2007
Essex Library, Essex, Connecticut

 

PRESENT: Katie Brossard, MC; Bridget Quinn-Carey, EX; Lydia Main, EL; Peter Ciparelli, NL; Kelly Marszycki, RA; Jan Day, WB; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Leslie Scherer WA; Marie Shaw EH; Cornell McNair, NW; Michelle Baker, ME; Paula Soares, MD; Sandy Ruoff, GU; Nancy Wardell GU; Bonny Albanese, MA; Valerie Kilmartin, DU; Marcia Sokolnicki, MA; Pat Johnson, Bib Committee; Ann Penfield, HA; Betty Page, ST; Lew Daniels, WS; Matt Beardsley, LION; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Mary Fiorelli, OL; Kathy Rieger, BR.

ABSENT: None

I.  CALL TO ORDER:  at 9:33 a.m.

II.  ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III.  PUBLIC COMMENT: Leslie thanked the LION staff for all of their help with one of several moves that they are making as they expand the Wallingford Library.

IV.  APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the April 24th meeting were moved to be accepted by Peter and seconded by Sandy. All were in favor.

V.  TREASURER’S REPORT: The treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

VI.  ACTION/DISCUSSION:

  1. PLAYAWAYS:  Anyone can join the Playaway project on July 1st for the other half of the year by contacting Patty Noran at CLC.  Full year price is $400.  Jan commented that this is a very popular service at Woodbridge.  Alan has been checking prices for ear buds and can possibly get them for a little as $.48 per set.  He will let us know if they are able to get a large supply to make the cost of replacement ear buds less expensive for member libraries.
  2. NELINET – OCLC: Alan let everyone know that he cancelled the contract that LION had with Nelinet.  The training component of the contract didn’t seem to be useful to member libraries and LION can obtain OCLC through CLC at a significant savings over what LION was spending for the Nelinet membership.
  3. CASE MEMORIAL in ORANGE:  Alan included in the board packets a draft of the proposal he will make to Case Memorial Library to see if they are interested in joining LION.  If Case decides to join LION they would need to give significant notification to LEAP that they are withdrawing so if they decide to join LION, it would not be until July, 2008.  Alan explained the charges and the issues behind each cost to Case Memorial.  Leslie commented that we may not be at full capacity as far as III is concerned since East Hampton dropped out of LION after we signed the III contract.  Marie and Leslie noted that Alan should include the bylaws language for LION membership in the proposal because there are initiation fees and other rules to abide by such as having full MARC records in the database; attendance at LION board meetings; and shared holdings.  Alan will continue to revise the proposal before sending it to Case.
  4. OVERDRIVE: The contract has been signed and the product will be available around August 1.  Alan has 4 names which have been submitted to the selection committee, although Kathy added another name making it 5.  The representatives are from the following libraries: Guilford, Essex, Middletown, Meriden, and Branford.  The training for Overdrive is web based.  LION has set up several training sessions.  Each session is approximately 45 minutes long and anyone can attend the training.  The invoices for the fee to have this product will be sent quarterly, although Leslie asked if individual libraries can prepay from this fiscal years budget.  The answer was “yes.”  Alan explained the fee structure for the non-participating libraries and will talk to Sandy Long individually.
  5. BUDGET REVIEW: Kelly went over the budget numbers noting the significant changes.  Consulting fees are down 88%.  They were up last year because of III fees.  Computer expenses are up 20% primarily because of several libraries relocating equipment due to building projects.  Travel expenses increased 7% because of the increase in mileage reimbursement recommended by the IRS.  Maintenance for BIB is down 96% because of dropping the Nelinet contract.  Telephone network is down 233% because of switching to CEN.  With no further questions or discussion, Bridget moved and Sandy seconded that we accept the proposed budget.  The motion passed unanimously.  Mary thanked Alan and Kelly for their excellent work.
  6. NEXT MEETING: The June meeting has been cancelled.  The next meeting will be July 24th at the Essex Library.

VII. REPORTS:

  1. LION staff:

    • Andy reported that III training is done.  He is working on finishing the acquisition setup.  The staff is also cleaning up the serials database.  More training will follow on serials.  Andy is also working on individual loan rules for libraries. 
    • Matt reported that he and Rick have spent quite a bit of time with Wallingford and Guilford making sure the various moves are going o.k.  So far he will be ordering at least 140 new computers from Dell in mid June.  He will put out a “last call” soon on quantities of computers. 
    • Alan reported that the accountant that they have been using is no longer available.  They are accepting proposals from other accounting groups.
  2. LION Committess:

    • Nominating – no report
    • Finance – no report
    • Personnel – no report
    • Planning/Negotiations – no report, although the planning session is under discussion.
    • Bibliographic – no report
    • Circulation – next meeting is in June
    • PAC – no report

VIII. OLD BUSINESS:

Ann reported that she is retiring and today is her last LION board meeting.  This announcement was followed by a round of applause. 

Sandy again thanked the LION staff for all of their help with Guilford’s temporary move.  She commented that the staff was tremendously cooperative and a great resource.

Pat also thanked Andy and Alan for all of their help with cataloging reports.

IX. NEW BUSINESS:

Kelly mentioned that in one of the field trips to libraries that she takes with her staff, the director at Manchester indicated that their circulation had gone down and was wondering how the LION libraries were doing in that regard.  Most libraries reported that circulation was up, at least in some areas.  Marie thought that an interesting statistic might be a comparison of hits on the PACs versus actual checkouts.

Marie reported that the East Lyme High School will close June 22 and no one can access the library until the last week of August.  She will inform member libraries about issues regarding holds.

Kate commented that she is working on remote access of the electronic databases at Mitchell College other than the iConn databases.  Andy has been helping her with this issue.

Cornell asked about inexpensive USB flashdrives and if anyone knew of a vendor.  Several people said that they would look into it.

Bridget offered tours of the new Essex Library following the meeting.

X. ADJOURNMENT:

Mary asked for a motion to adjourn at 10:36 a.m.  Kelly made the motion and Lydia seconded.

XI. NEXT MEETING:

Tuesday, July 24 at Essex Library with Willoughby Wallace responsible for refreshments.

Respectfully submitted,

Kathy Rieger, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes