Board Minutes 2007 02

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
February 27, 2007
Russell Library, Middletown, Connecticut

 

PRESENT: Marie Shaw, ELH; Gale Bradbury, LED; Vince Juliano, MD; Katie Brossard, MC; Cyndi Shushac, DU; Nancy Wardell, GUI; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Marcia Sokolnicki, MAD; Paula Soares, MD; Nancy Lauretano, MRD; Cornell McNair, NWC; Lew Daniels, WS; Ann Penfield, HA; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Matt Beardsley, LION; Rick Widlansky, LION; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Lydia Main, ELY; Kathy Rieger, BRB.

I.  CALL TO ORDER: at 9:36 a.m. by President Mary Fiorelli at the Russell Library in Middletown, Connecticut.

II.  ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III.  PUBLIC COMMENT: Leslie S. thanked the LION staff for all of their help at Wallingford as they move on with their renovation. Katie Brossard is representing Mitchell College today.

IV.  APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: Leslie S. moved to approve the January 30, 2007 minutes. Bridget Q-C seconded. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

V.  TREASURER’S REPORT: No comments. Report will be filed for audit.

VI.  ACTION/DISCUSSION:

  1. Downloadable books with Overdrive.
    1. Alan included a report in the Board packet, put together with the Finance Committee, on how Overdrive could be purchased for the consortium and the price breakdown. Lew D. explained the different price models charted in the handout. Discussion: Marcia S. brought several questions from Sandy Long. Is this product bar-code driven? (Answer – Yes). Is there only one user per title per loan period? (Answer – depends; see explanation below). How much LION staff time would be involved with this project? (Answer – very little). Is this a good use of the Current Balance in the budget with the pending computer replacement project? (Answer – Current Balance is $364,717. Pending payment to iii is $100,000 bringing the balance to $264,717. Computer Replacement will cost around $60,000 giving a $200,000 Current Balance which Alan feels is a comfortable cushion. Note from Alan: recently received $27,000 from the USF rebate).
    2. Vince J. commented that it may be hard for Russell Library to justify the expense because they tried downloadable books and didn’t get a good response from the public. Marie S. asked about simultaneous use because East Lyme H.S. may want to have 20 copies of the same book for students in a class. Alan explained that Overdrive has two "collections": The "Always Available" collection is a subscription to blocks of 50 Blackstone titles for which there is no limit as to number of uses. So a class or a book club could download multiple copies simultaneously. The "purchased" titles are individual copies, so multiple simultaneous use would require multiple copy purchases. The current proposal would have 50 "always available" titles at start-up, plus about 210 purchased titles (from the $8500 credit), plus whatever titles we would purchase from the $20000 that we allocated for member purchases.
    3. Maria mentioned that Groton Library (fairly large library) has had downloadable books for 1 ½ years and circulate approximately 120 downloads per month. Other comments were; why is only Overdrive being considered since there were other vendors in last month’s report. The answer was that Overdrive is currently the only viable option with consortia pricing, although Recorded Books may be willing to work with a special pricing for LION. There was some discussion about supplying patrons with MP3 players, possibly already downloaded, to simplify the process for patrons. Another idea was to begin with Play Away to give patrons a chance to get use to the technology. Recorded Books seems to be a very difficult product for patrons, plus it is a subscription product which needs to be renewed every year. There is some concern that the patrons may not take to downloadable books after we’ve already spent the money, although at many libraries patrons have been asking for the technology. Alan suggested that we may want to poll our patrons to see if they are interested. He also commented that marketing is very important to making sure that patrons know that we have the product. A question was asked about the possibility of burning the product to a CD. Alan said that it is possible with some titles in Overdrive, but he felt that with most titles this isn’t an option.
    4. Leslie S. made a motion to accept the recommendation of the Finance Committee that LION underwrite the $23,550 for the start up cost and use either model 1 or 3 to charge LION member libraries. There was clarification to the motion noting that the other model could be Katie B’s suggestion of having libraries ante up $500 each and pay a percentage over that depending on size. After a year this payment could be analyzed to see if libraries should pay according to circulation instead of library size and population. Bridget seconded the motion. There was a discussion of when the individual library payments would begin since some libraries won’t have monies available until the beginning of fiscal year July 1, 2007. Also it was asked that LION look into the possibility of purchasing MP3 players to sell back to libraries at a reduced rate if libraries want to provide them for their patrons. It was noted that libraries can opt out of this entire project. Mary F. asked for the vote. 14 were in favor, 1 was opposed, and 1 abstained. Kathy R. will email the libraries that were not represented to find out what direction they would like to take.
  2. Strategic Planning. Suzanne Risley and Kelly Marszycki were unable to attend the meeting but had emailed Alan about the possibility of implementing a Strategic Plan for LION. Marie S. gave some history of a previous strategic plan done in the early 90’s and the benefits of that plan. Some of the pluses of having a plan are that we can decide how and if we want to expand the membership; have a direction on how to use the reserve balance; analyze if we need more staff for the LION offices; as well as having a mission and vision for the organization. Leslie S. is the current head of the Planning Committee which may be able to take this suggestion to the next level by investigating a time frame, hiring of a facilitator, etc. Mary will contact Leslie to see if their committee will accept the assignment.
  3. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at Russell Library in Middletown.

VII.  REPORTS

  1. Staff:
    • Matt is developing the PC replacement model and will present the plan at the March meeting.
    • Rick said that the spam filter seems to be working. Out of the 350 email accounts receiving 228,269 messages, 207,485 were blocked spam messages- at whopping 91%. If anyone is not receiving something they think that they should, contact Rick and he may be able to retrieve it. The group was assured that we are set to move to Daylight Saving Time on March 11.
    • Andy attended load profile training. He will be assigning individual loan rules for each library. If you see things in the loan rules that you want changed and tailored to your individual library, let Andy know.
  2. Committees:
    • Nominating – no report.
    • Finance – already reported.
    • Personnel – no report.
    • Planning and Negotiations – currently inactive.
    • Bib – met and discussed the rules that we currently have. They will write a policy manual.
    • Circ – selected a sub committee to work on LION wide policies.

VIII.  OLD BUSINESS

Lew reported that the proposed budget will be presented at the next meeting. It will probably be only a 1% increase.

Lydia asked about freezing terminals. Rick reported that they are usually able to fix frozen terminals, although in reading the Innovative user group list serve he noted that it is a global-wide problem for iii.

Lew also apologized for the long wait in getting other library materials back to each library from Westbrook. There were problems with their CEN line when they moved to their temporary quarters.

IX.  NEW BUSINESS

Marica asked about self-check capability with iii. Aland mentioned that there is a demo coming up Tuesday, March 6, in Danbury at the Technology Roundtable meeting. LION has purchased self-check capability with iii.

X.  ADJOURNMENT
Mary adjourned the meeting at 11:15 a.m.

Next meeting is Tuesday, March 27th at Russell Library.

New London is in charge of refreshments.

Respectfully submitted,

Kathy Rieger, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes