Board Minutes 2007 01

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
January 30, 2007
Russell Library, Middletown, Connecticut

PRESENT: Suzanne Risley, MTC; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Jan Day, WBR; Nancy Lauretano, MRD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Lydia Main, ELY; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Vince Juliano, MDT; Paula Soares, MDT; Marcia Sokolnicki, MAD; Bonny Albanese, MAD; Kelly Marszycki, RA; Cornell McNair, NWC; Lew Daniels, WS; Ann Penfield, HA; Pat Johnson, WPL; Betty Page, STC; Matt Beardsley, Rick Widlansky, Alan Hagyard, LION; Sandy Ruoff, GUI; Valerie Kilmartin, DU; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Kathy Rieger, BRB.

I.  CALL TO ODER: at 9:43 a.m. by President Mary Fiorelli at the Russell Library in Middletown, Connecticut.

II.  ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: none

III.  PUBLIC COMMENT:  the Hubbard Room at the Russell Library has been reserved on the 4th Tuesday for the next 6 months for LION Board meetings.

IV.  APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: Peter C. moved to approve the December 19, 2006 minutes.  Jan D. seconded.  MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Kelly M. reported that we are on target for December 31, 2006 (first 6 months of fiscal year) expending around 40-50% in each category.  Report will be filed for audit.

VI.  ACTION/DISCUSSION:

  1. Vince J. requested to discuss circulation statistics, mainly the September Connecticard stats.  Alan worked on Vince’s issue and came up with a method to extrapolate a number that will be accurate for September statistics.  Vince suggested that all LION libraries calculate the same way.  A motion to adopt this system-wide method of calculating Connecticard counts for September 2006 was moved by Leslie S.  Peter C. seconded.  Discussion ensued.  Sandy R. suggested calling Joanne Turschman at the State Library to let her know that we will be submitting these numbers.  Vince J. agreed to contact Joanne.  Alan H. further clarified how statistics are generated by iii.  Alan would also like from the Board a clarification on renewal numbers.  Is this a number that we need and use?  The discussion consisted of questions concerning the elimination of the “Connecticard report” feature, the “other Connecticard” feature, and how other consortia using iii are handling statistics.  Following this discussion, the MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.
  2. Lydia M. requested to discuss hold/item status, explaining that patrons are unable to place holds on items via the PACs that have the following statuses:

    • C ~ recently returned
    • P ~ on order
    • R ~ in process
    • T~ in transit
    • ! ~ on hold shelf
    • (dash) ~ available

    Alan H. explained that we need to resubmit a document to iii to recode these statuses and turn them off so patrons can place holds on these items.  Discussion ensued on what the circulation committee is recommending to the Board concerning these statuses.  Some suggestions were: to test the holds to see exactly what is happening; have Andy run some clean-up reports for the libraries; have the circulation committee work on a user’s manual (suggestion that it be on-line and not in a 3-ring binder).  Leslie S. moved that we move ahead with these changes and have Alan H. contact iii to change these 6 items.  Bridget Q-C seconded.  MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.  Vince J. commented that Board policy should be in writing, separate from the minutes of the meetings.  Rick will gladly put any policy issues passed by the Board on the web site.

  3. Alan directed the Board to the document in the packet on Dounloadable Books.  Following a thorough description from Alan of each product, the Board asked that this topic be added to the agenda for the February meeting.  This will give members time to digest all of the information as well as talk to other libraries that use this product to see how they feel about the price, technology, ease of use, and availability of titles.  Sandy R. mentioned that we might be able to start this project with LION funds, as that has been done in the past for some projects.  In an informal poll, 14 members are interested in equal sharing of the downloadable books product with pricing based on circulation; 15 members are interested in sharing a database of titles; 12 are interested in the other MP3 products that Alan researched.  Alan will send Board members the URL’s for some of the products featured and the discussion will continue at the February meeting.
  4. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at the Russell Library.

VII.  REPORTS:

  1. LION staff:
    • Rick – Spam problem should be going away soon.
    • Matt – In progress of putting together a replacement plan for the PC’s and will have something to present in the next month or two.
  2. Committee Reports:
    • Nominating – no report
    • Finance – will be meeting soon
    • Personnel – no report
    • Planning & Negotiations – no report
    • Bib – February 12 meeting at the LION offices
    • Circ – February 8 meeting at the Durham Library
    • PAC – There is now a place to leave notes on the PACs.  Some patrons have used it.

VIII.  Old Business:  None

IX.  New Business

Alan was approached by Eric Throndson, Baker & Taylor representative, at the recent ALA Midwinter meeting concerning B&T’s “Library Bookstore.”  This is a link called “Buy it Now” that libraries can put on their website and generate funds by selling new books to patrons through their website.

X.  Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 11:53 a.m.

NEXT MEETING – February 27, 2007 at 9:30 a.m., Russell Library

Refreshments: Old Lyme

Respectfully submitted,
Kathy Rieger, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes