Board Minutes 2006 12

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
December 19, 2006
Russell Library, Middletown, Connecticut

PRESENT: Barbara Cangiano, BRB; Cindy Shirshac, DUR; Valerie Kilmartin, DUR; Kelly Marszycki, EHR; Marie Shaw, ELH; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Nancy Wardell, GUI; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Paula Soares, MDT; Vince Juliano, MDT; Nancy Laurentano, MRD; Katie Brossard, MTC; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Bob Farwell, NWC; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Lynn Serra, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Alan Hagyard, Andy Gardner, Matt Beardsley, Rick Widlansky, LION.

I. CALL TO ORDER: at 9:40AM by President Peter Ciparelli at the Russell Library, in Middletown, Connecticut.

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: Lydia Main and Sandy Long each requested an item from them be added to the agenda.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT:

1. Peter Ciparelli thanked everyone for their cards, calls and gifts. He will be returning to work in January.

2. Mary F. thanked and presented gifts of appreciation to both Andy Gardner and Valerie Kilmartin for their work on the III migration.

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Lydia M. moved to approve the October 17, 2006 minutes. Nancy W. seconded. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Kelly M. and Alan H. reported that the report of finances for October and November were on target. Reports were filed for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION:

1. OCLC / NELINET

Alan requested feedback from the board on whether or not the NELINET subscription is a good value for LION – specifically if LION members reap benefits from membership that would be lost if LION went directly to OCLC for bib. records. Three libraries mentioned they had attended NELINET workshops, but there was not an overwhelming response or strong case made to retain this membership. Alan will bring more information to the board in the next few months regarding our contract options for both NELINET and OCLC.

2. Downloadable Audio

Alan reported that:

▪ Recorded Books/OCLC may be doing a statewide contract through CLC

▪ Overdrive is not doing a statewide contract. They have a contract with Library Connection and are interested in consortia and single site only.

Alan requested feedback and guidance to see how to proceed in following up with these vendors for LION.

Member libraries are very interested in downloadable audio service, and would like to see options for membership. Concerns are content, flexibility, price, added features (such as video), privacy and ease of use.

Alan will return to the board in the next few months with more information.

3. Authority Heading Processing

Andy reported that the database contains many duplicate and old authority headings and records. He recommends clearing them out. It would take the LION staff considerable time to do this. We could contract with a vendor to de-dup name and subject authority records and get ongoing authority records. A ballpark figure for a one-time clean up is $18K, with $5K per year for ongoing record maintenance.

The consensus of the board is to pursue this; there was very positive feedback for taking on this project.

4. Statistics

Vince Juliano is concerned that the September C-Card statistics are inaccurate and would like to develop a standard way for LION libraries to report C-Card numbers to the State for the month of September 2006. The board agreed that this was a good idea. Vince will work with Alan to develop a standard way to report, probably an average or extrapolation of the first 3 weeks of Sept. when Dynix data was available. They will report back to the board.

5. Library Elf

Alan reported on a free service, Library Elf, which enables users to register library barcode numbers and have a single report of all their library activity (across different libraries) reported to them via email, rss or text messaging. LION member libraries need to make themselves available for users to do this, but each user determines whether or not to register. It is optional.

He suggested that this was an easy way to offer patrons a way to keep track of their holds, checked out items, items about to be overdue and overdues.

This is a different service than the III system notice program. Some members registered concerns about patron privacy.

Mary made a motion to register LION as a consortia member of Library Elf. Ann seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

6. Next meeting scheduled for January 23, 2007 at the Russell Library.

7. Lydia Main reported that holds are being cancelled and no reason is apparent; is there a way to address this. Alan and Andy suggested that hold requests only stay on an item for 12 hours. If the request isn’t responded to or filled, the request is cancelled. Alan and Andy will explore options for looping the requests or for printing hold cancellation reports.

As the board was discussing III features, Sandy L. posed an inquiry to see if the board and staff felt we (LION) were getting all we expected from the system. The staff responded that for the most part the system is doing all we had requested, but not all features have been installed (acq./serials). The system is still being refined and member libraries are still learning how to use the system most effectively.

There is a question about how online renewals are ‘counted’ for circulation statistics. Andy or Alan will report more on this to the board as they have more information.

 VII. REPORTS:

1. LION Staff

Alan – He will start to make site visits to member libraries in the New Year

Andy: Nothing further to report

Rick: Rick distributed a written report; all member libraries that will be on CEN are done, there are substantial savings to LION through CEN.

Matt: Nothing further to report

2. Committee Reports

▪ Finance: Kelly clarified that for budget planning purposes libraries should plan on a 1% increase for fees in FY07-08. Alan does not anticipate major spending, and this amount will be enough to cover expenses and to begin building cash reserves again.

▪ Bib: Lydia reported for Pat Johnson that the Bib committee met and discussed 008 fields, duplicate records, 13-digit ISBN placement in the MARC record, the 245 field and adhering to AACR2 guidelines, and that a B&T representative discussed Title Source III.

▪ Circ: Nancy W. reported that the Circ. committee will meet on January 11th at the Durham Library.

▪ PAC: there is a PAC committee meeting scheduled for December 20th. The PAC web interface has seen changes, may be more to come.

 VIII. Old Business

1. Sandy Long asked about Self- Check – LION staff reported that LION has 2 licenses for any library that would like to install a 3-M type self check machine; one license is being reserved for Meriden.

IX New Business

Sandy L. requested that libraries give an update on any major projects in the works at their libraries:

  • Guilford: Building project – staff will be moving out in March or April of 2007 and will be out for 12-18 months.
  • East Lyme High: A language lab is in development
  • Mitchell College: the campus master plan may include plans to expand the library
  • Haddam: Paws and Read Program – Ann would be happy to share information about bringing that program to other libraries
  • Rathbun: outdoor memorial reading garden excavation and landscaping has begun
  • Westbrook: bond referendum passed, they will be closing and moving out January 13th; they will be working out of the old Goodwill store on Rt. 1 in Westbrook for 12-15 monts.
  • East Lyme Library: a committee to discuss expansion/renovation plans has been formed
  • Essex: moved back into renovated/expanded library in Sept. of 2006 and grand opening day was Nov. 7, 2006.

X Adjournment: Lydia moved to adjourn at 11:55AM. Nancy seconded. Motion carried/

NEXT MEETING January 23, 2007 9:30AM  Russell Library, Middletown CT.

Respectfully submitted,
Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes