Board Minutes 2006 10

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
October 17, 2006
Russell Library, Middletown, Connecticut

PRESENT: Kathy Rieger, BRB; Cindy Shirshac, DUR; Kelly Marszycki, EHR; Marie Shaw, ELH; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Nancy Wardell, GUI; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Paula Soares, MDT; Vince Juliano, MDT; Nancy Laurentano, MRD; Suzanne Risley, MTC; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Alan Hagyard, Andy Gardner, Linda Rusczek, Matt Beardsley, Rick Widlansky, LION.

ABSENT: HAD

I. CALL TO ORDER: at 9:35AM by President Peter Ciparelli at the Russell Library, in Middletown, Connecticut.

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Mary F. moved to approve the July 25, 2006 minutes. Lydia M. seconded. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY. Jan D. moved to approve the August 22nd minutes. Kelly M. seconded. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Kelly M. and Alan H. reported that the report of finances for July and August look healthy. Payments have been made to III for the migration and system. We moved some money to money market accounts to get better interest rates. Reports were filed for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION:

1. Migration details

▪ Andy G. reported that the data transfer and migration in general is complete. They are dealing with issues as they arise.

▪ Ongoing cleanup (i.e. 25K bib records to be deleted – without holdings)

▪ Statistics – Mike from III to send info. regarding reports and how to run/create

▪ They are setting up ongoing record loads for LC, netlibrary, ebrary and av services.

▪ Andy will be setting up training sessions for the Create Lists function. In the meantime, please send him requests for reports you would like to have run.

▪ Alan reported that training was very successful and gave kudos to Linda and Susan for their training sessions.

▪ Acquisitions training is still TBD.

▪ Alan will be taking over admin. of acquisitions, PAC and security to help manage the general work load.

▪ They both reported that start up went well; port locking continues to be an issue; there is no clear reason, but III is working on this.

▪ OPAC: it is set up now, look to review the design after we have used it for a while.

▪ Leslie requested info. about whether we could push out training a few months; Andy will check into that as a possibility.

2. LC Database

▪ This does not work in the same way it did in Dynix.

▪ Alan reported that we can access LC via z39.50 for free.

▪ A bill will be coming in Dec. to review. Alan proposed that we drop our subscription (for a savings of $14K annually); The Bib. Committee is ok with this – Alan can filter CIP records.

Leslie moved that we drop the LC database and go straight to LC via z39.50. Lydia seconded. MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

3. Notices and postage

▪ If we sort notices by zip code we can save $.20 per notice.

▪ libraries would need to have zip code field filled in.

▪ Alan would appreciate feedback on whether to keep pursing this as well as other cost reduction options (courtesy emails for things about to come due); please let Alan know how you feel about notice postage costs.

4. Syndetics

▪ We now go directly to Syndetics for cover art, reviews, TOC and links for the catalog. Costs about $9,600 per year. Alan wants to gauge the value of these services to libraries. We have until next August to decide what to do, but wants libraries to be aware of the associated costs and options.

▪ Consensus was that this is a good service and used by library staff; needs to be more user friendly for patrons.

VII. REPORTS:

1. LION Staff

Matt: Nothing further to report

Rick: CEN almost complete; by end of October.

Andy: Will send out features of next release

Alan: reported on III Public Library consortia directors meeting. Very positive feedback.

2. Committee Reports

▪ Bib: Leslie requested that the Bib Committee to look into more options for getting records. Who should look at this? Staff will review with the committee.

▪ Circ: Nancy W. reported that Circ. met on Oct. 5th. They discussed III issues. The committee confirmed that the policy and process for patrons paying fines has remained the same: fines can be paid at any library, and now it is easier to clear them (no phone call required.) Lost materials can be paid at any library, HOWEVER, a check should be made out to the owning library and sent to the owning library for the replacement cost of the material. If the library accepting payment takes cash from a patron, that library should then cut a check to the owning library – no cash should be set through the mail.

 

VIII. Old Business

1. LION continues to explore issues with offering/subscribing to Overdrive.

IX.  New Business

1. Sandy Long requested discussion of overdue notice and bill language. Sandy moved to remove collection agency wording from the billing notice and to change the loan rules to enable those libraries that use collection agencies to send out a different notice. Lydia seconded the motion. There was considerable discussion. MOTION CARRIED: 1 OPPOSED, 1 ABSTAIN; 16 FOR.

X Adjournment: Kathy R. moved to adjourn at 11:40.

NEXT MEETING December 19, 2006 9:00 am
(Annual Meeting at 9AM; Regular meeting at 9:30AM) at the Russell Library, Middletown CT.Refreshments: Meriden Library

Respectfully submitted,
Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes