Board Minutes 2006 04

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
April 25, 2006
Russell Library, Middletown, Connecticut

PRESENT: Kathy Rieger, BRB; Valerie Kilmartin, DUR; Kelly Marszycki, EHR; Marie Shaw, ELH; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Sandy Ruoff; GUI; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Nancy Wardell,GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Bonny Albanese, MAD; Vince Juliano, MDT; Nancy Laurentano, MRD; Michelle Baker, MRD; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Bob Farwell, NWC; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Suzanne Risley, MTC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Andy Gardner, Rick Widlansky, Linda Rusczek, LION.

ABSENT: STC

I. CALL TO ORDER: at 9:40AM by President Peter Ciparelli at the Russell Library in Middletown, Connecticut.

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Jan moved Gale seconded a motion to approve the March 28, 2006 minutes. Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan distributed the March financial report. We have been sent the first two invoices from Innovative Interfaces, Inc. The current report was filed for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION:

1. CEN
Rick reported that the libraries not eligible as part of the CEN project may not qualify for inclusion in the CEN, even at LION expense. This is a contract issue with SBC/ATT and is currently being resolved through the State AG’s office. This may also affect when LION can move off the ATM. Leslie suggested that Peter write a letter on behalf of LION to the AG regarding how important it is to have this resolved. Rick noted that CEN has been great to work with and very competent. He also reported that LION is now saving approximately $2,900 per month from libraries that have been switched over.

2. III Migration Update
o First round of training is complete; III trainer seems to be a good fit. The next round starts in May with circulation and cataloging training
o Linda R. reported that the LION training committee requested information regarding member library staff and what levels of training would be required, for which staff, for which modules. Please complete that questionnaire as soon as possible. Lew noted that the III tutorial is a good introduction for staff, and libraries should encourage their staff to do this play in the database to see how the searching and screens look.
o The Bib and Circ migration sub-committees have been meeting regularly and are looking to have codes by next week preliminary but as close as possible. Other III consortia have been asked to share copies of their code plans.
o Data transfer: 200K records are in profile database. By mid-late May, 50% of our data will be loaded/transferred. Richard Lewis is looking at the patron database and a test sample will be loaded sometime in May with some de-duping. Data is test data at this point, it will be reloaded. Codes and parameters are not “test” and will stay as entered unless changes/modifications need to be made.
o The new server was installed March 30th and is up and running. It was tested right away by III, and LION is already running backups. It is set up to a UPS should there be power outages.
o Matt reported that the Millennium client has been installed on 146 of the 148 LION staff PC’s remotely. Matt will make site visits to the other libraries that need the client installed on staff and other PC’s.

3. Next Meeting
May 30 9:30AM ; Peter C. requested that Paula check the Hubbard Room. If needed: if no pending business may elect to cancel this meeting.

4. Kathy made a motion to go into Executive Session at 10:55AM. Lydia seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Ann made a motion to come out of Executive Session at 11:46AM. Lydia seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

Mary Fiorelli, on behalf of the Personnel Committee, made a motion to approve LION staff salary increases (COLA and Step) as presented on attached handout. Committee motions do not require a second. Motion passed: 14 IN FAVOR; 3 OPPOSED; 1 ABSTENTION

II. REPORTS:

1. LION Staff
a. Joan: Has spoken with Bibliomation and Library Connection consortia regarding cooperative disaster planning. Consensus was to proceed in these discussions. Suzanne noted that CEN may be prepping a disaster location in Springfield that may cover LION and the other consortia.
b. Andy: nothing further to report
c. Rick: System outage last week a mystery; no data seemed to be lost
d. Matt: nothing further to report
e. Linda: She is working on a list of what kind of cleanups would be good for libraries to do over the summer. She will work with Andy to determine the best preparations and make a recommendation to member libraries.
2. Committee Reports:  None

III. Old Business:  None

IV. New Business

1.  Leslie requested that after the migration, LION explore the option of group purchasing for Overdrive downloadable audio service.
2.  The June meeting will be on the 27th.

V. Adjournment
Lydia moved to adjourn. Bob seconded. Meeting adjourned at 11:50 AM.

NEXT MEETING: May 30, 9:30 am at Phoebe Griffin Noyes Library in Old Lyme
Refreshments at next meeting: GUILFORD LIBRARY.

Respectfully Submitted:
Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes