Board Minutes 2005 10

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
October 25, 2005
Russell Library, Middletown, Connecticut

PRESENT: Kathy Rieger, BRB; Cindy Shirshac, DUR; Marie Shaw, ELH; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Paula Soares, MDT; Michele Baker, MRD; Nancy Laurentano, MRD; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Hannah Estra, NWC; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Katherine Brossard, MTC; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Andy Gardner, Linda Rusczek, Matt Beardsley, LION.

ABSENT: EHP, STC

I. CALL TO ORDER: at 9:45 AM by President Peter Ciparelli at the Russell Library in Middletown, Connecticut.

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Jan Day moved and Mary Fiorelli seconded a motion to approve the September 27, 2005 minutes. Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan distributed the September financial report. There were no additional questions or comments. Report was filed for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION:

1. Pre-Tax Deductions for LION Employees

Joan distributed an update of the PayChex system introduced at the last meeting, including additional information and updated cost estimates. Start up costs for LION are $1,195 start up fee and $1,401 annually, with an estimated payroll tax savings of $1,446 for a total start up cost of $1,446. Estimated net annual cost in subsequent years is approximately $250.

Leslie Scherer moved and Kathy Rieger seconded a motion that LION offer it’s employees a pre-tax payroll deduction benefit program, administered by Paychex. Motion carried unanimously.

2. CEN Update

Andy discussed a recent e-mail sent by Sharon Brettschneider at the State Library regarding CEN installations. New London and Wallingford are LION libraries on the first list of twelve libraries to be installed. Rick has been in contact with the CEN staff regarding the project. Please call the LION office if you are contacted and/or visited by CEN. Rick hopes to have the LION central OC3 line up and running before Jan 1.

3. LEAP Proposal and Update

a. Cheshire is leaving LEAP and joining Library Connection.

b. LEAP requested another quote from LION for the remaining 5 LEAP libraries. They are very interested in III, although they are unsure about joining LION

c. Joan has provided a quote based on pre-contract signing figures and incentives. LION will not hold up contract signing to wait for LEAP’s answer, however, if LEAP does decide to join LION we will need to discuss the impact on the migration process.

4. CT Consortia Update

a. Joan reported that the group is exploring the possibility of providing lower cost group insurance for consortia employees.

5. Demo invitation from LCI for RFID; conferring with Recorded books and Overdrive

a. The CT Consortia will explore group pricing for each of these services and for MP3 players.

b. Marie requested that Andy circulate some information about Recorded books and Overdrive services

6. Norton Anti-Virus licenses

a. Anti-virus software licenses are expiring for the LION- purchased machines, Matt will be in touch with libraries that need to update their software. He will be installing the update with a corporate license. The understanding at the LION office was that the cost of this would be billed back to each library. Questions arose as to who should pay for the update, LION or each library. Matt reported that it will cost $17.41 per PC, and that will be for the life of the PC.

Marie Shaw moved to table the discussion until the November meeting. Lydia Main seconded. Motion carried.

7. Bibliographic and holding information/issues

a. Linda R. reminded the group that East Hampton’s holdings will be out of the database by the end of the year. Many have already been removed. Patrons from East Hampton will continue to have LION barcodes, but should now be treated as out of system patrons. Linda and Andy can provide a list of East Hampton patrons to any library that would like it.

b. There has been an increase in the number of duplicate bib records in the system. Linda and Andy are working on this situation to identify the problem and how to fix it. They will keep us posted.

8. Contract Update

a. Andy outlined the difference between sharing a single unit of the

Serials product and having individual units at select libraries. The advantage of having a separate unit is the ability to display local holdings only. There did not seem to be any other advantage to having individual units. Other considerations: if any library wants an individual unit, any other library currently ordering single acquisitions must also purchase a single Serials unit.

The consensus was not to purchase individual units and use the single shared unit.

Joan distributed a final list of what we are ordering from III; unless of course LEAP accepts the most recent LION proposal.

The contract is still in legal review.

9. Phone calls when LION is down:

a. Andy requested that LION libraries do their best to stay off the system when it is down to facilitate LION staff being able to repair the situation without making unnecessary calls to ask libraries to log off.

Board members reported that it is often difficult to prevent staff members from trying to log in if they are unaware that LION is down or due to communications issues between staff members.

It was agreed that the process should be:

▪ Libraries call LION when their system is down

▪ LION will call AND e-mail staff when system is back up

▪ In the interim, Libraries will encourage staff not to try logging in.

10. Meeting in November

Peter C. reported that there will be a meeting on November 22nd to discuss LEAP’s response to the LION proposal if they will be joining us; or if other pressing business arises.

The annual meeting is scheduled for December 13, 2005 at 9AM.

VII. REPORTS:

1. LION Staff

a. Joan: nothing further to report

b. Andy: nothing further to report

c. Matt: nothing further to report

2. Committee Reports

Nominating: Mary Fiorelli again requested nominations for the position of Treasurer, which is currently vacant. Mary will e-mail the slate of officers to the board in early November.

VIII. Old Business:  None

IX. New Business:  

Otis library reported that they have received a Kresge Grant for matching funds for their capital campaign. Congratulations!

X. Adjournment

Meeting Adjourned by President Peter C. at 12:10 PM.

NEXT MEETING: November 22, 2005 9:30 am at Russell Library, Middletown.
Refreshments at next meeting: DURHAM LIBRARY

Respectfully Submitted:

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes