Board Minutes 2005 05

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
May 24, 2005
Russell Library, Middletown CT

PRESENT: Kathy Rieger, BRB; Sue Berescik, EHP; Kelly Marszycki, EHR; Marie Shaw, ELH; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Sandy Ruoff, GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Paula Soares, MDT; Vince Juliano, MDT; Suzanne Risley, MTC; Roxanne Moreau, MRD; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Linda Summers, NWC; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Rick Widlansky, Matt Beardsley, Linda Rusczek, LION.

ABSENT: DUR

I. TO ORDER: at 9:35AM by President Peter Ciparelli at the Russell Library in Middletown, Connecticut.

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT:

Leslie Scherer reported that both Marcia Trotta and Roxanne Moreau were retiring from Meriden Public Library. This will be Roxanne’s last board meeting. Members of the Board thanked Roxanne for her service to LION.

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Mary Fiorelli moved and Sandy Ruoff seconded a motion to approve the May 24th 2005 minutes. Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Sue B. and Joan distributed the report ahead of the meeting and at the meeting. Joan explained that personnel costs were slightly over due to payments owed to Mark Hewes upon his leaving.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION:

1. LION BUDGET

Joan presented the proposed budget for FY05-06. She provided clarification when asked about the lines for capital equipment and regarding how cash reserves have been built in the past and the plan to build the reserves in the future. Reserves have grown in part because: any leftover cash at the end of each FY is funneled to the reserves, and it was noted that previous directors had “fatter” budgets that allowed for leftover cash to be put in the reserve, and the reserve has grown as new members joined LION. USF grants have also contributed to the reserves. Several board members suggested that there be a plan for building the cash reserve in the future (after we have migrated to III.)

Linda S. moved and Kathy R. seconded, to accept the FY06 budget as presented.

Motion passed unanimously.

2. ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR POSITION UPDATE

Joan reported that she had received 11 resumes. She will meet with the Personnel Committee to decide upon interview candidates. Joan hopes to conduct interviews on June 8th.

3. FEE STRUCTURE PROPOSAL

Peter and Leslie reviewed the basic assumptions regarding development of a new pricing formula and shared two draft models, one with percentage limits on increases/decreases and one without. The underlying plan is to charge of the LION operating budget proportionally based on the number of staff devices LION wide, and the charge of the operating budget based on number of PAC devices. Leslie noted that telecom was a big factor that affected the changes in each member’s rates, with the most dramatic changes seen by libraries that are not currently receiving their telecom through LION.

It was also noted that the proposal reviewed was based on figures for the current year budget, and was subject to change regarding USF, new system, new members, etc. The task force is proposing the concept of this new pricing model, with the understanding that the figures would change and not go into affect until FY07.

The issue of building the capital reserve was discussed again, and Peter indicated that the finance committee would look at this issue, which Sue noted is a “noble quest!”

Lew D. moved to accept the new fee structure model. Kelly M. seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

4. LEAP PROPOSAL

Joan detailed the meeting she and Leslie had with the LEAP directors about a possible merger and noted the various issues of concern and consideration and options discussed. Joan proposed a plan to offer to LEAP on a short term basis if they would commit to join LION soon: the plan is to have their first annual fee to LION based on their 2004 total disbursements. Other one-time fees would apply. Leslie and Joan felt this merger would provide LION with many advantages. LEAP libraries are: Orange, Cheshire, N. Haven, West Haven, East Haven and N. Branford. Vince noted that this consortium has a very similar corporate structure to LION and it would make a wonderful partnership if the two joined forces. Jan D. made a motion to pursue moving forward with negotiations with LEAP and for Joan to bring her proposal as discussed to LEAP regarding pricing and deadlines. Suzanne R. seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

5. III CONTRACT STATUS

Joan reported that we hope to sign a contract by the end of June. If a library is interested in graphical self check the LION office must have a signed commitment form (distributed at the meeting) to the LION office by June 15th. If there are questions about pricing and payments, please call the LION office. This commitment is binding since it will affect the overall cost of the system we are purchasing.

VII. REPORTS:

1. LION Staff

a. Joan: CEN letters of intent were distributed at the meeting (Sharon B. of the State Library has also sent these letters to each individual library). Rick can be listed as the contact person for each library. Please return the letters to the State Library or to Rick.

b. Rick – nothing further to report

c. Matt – nothing further to report

2. Committee Reports -None

VIII. Old Business – None

IX. New Business – None

X. Adjournment:  Meeting Adjourned by President Peter C. at 11:35 AM. Motion from Linda, seconded by Sue.

NEXT MEETING: June 21, 9:30 am at Russell Library, Middletown
Refreshments at next meeting: Woodbridge

Respectfully Submitted:

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary (with help from Vince Juliano!)

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes