Board Minutes 2005 04

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
April 26, 2005
Russell Library, Middletown CT

PRESENT: Kathy Rieger, BRB; Valerie Kilmartin, DUR; Sue Berescik, EHP; Kelly Marszycki, EHR; Marie Shaw, ELH; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Paula Soares, MDT; Vince Juliano, MDT; Suzanne Risley, MTC; Roxanne Moreau, MRD; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Hanna Estra, NWC; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Rick Widlansky, Matt Beardsley, LION.

ABSENT: STC

I. CALL TO ORDER: at 9:33AM by President Peter Ciparelli at the Russell Library in Middletown, Connecticut

II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Ann P. moved and Mary F. seconded a motion to approve the March 22, 2005 minutes. Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Sue B. and Joan distributed the report ahead of the meeting and at the meeting. There were no questions or comments. Report filed for audit.

VI. ACTION/DISCUSSION:

1. III Contract Status:

Leslie and Joan will be meeting to work out final details of contract negotiations and pricing. After Joan and Leslie answered questions from various board members regarding the process of these final negotiations, cost issues and logistics of the delay, the consensus of the board was to proceed with contract signing but request III build in a delay in implementation until new LION staff person is on board and familiar with the organization. III is aware of our staffing situation and is receptive to working with us on our schedule for implementation.

Lydia M. read a statement from William Deakyne (ELY) regarding his negative feelings regarding Mark Hewes’ departure and concerns regarding the migration in light of the change in staffing. Board members responded that if Bill has concerns and issues to present to the board he should attend the meetings to discuss it directly.

2. CEN

Joan reported that the CEN taskforce is moving forward with planning for Library implementations and the LION office received its OC3 line, which will replace the T1 line. The OC3 line is being configured and will soon be up and running. Sandy L. expressed concerns about CEN in general, and its long-term viability as a state provided “free” service. She would like to see more information about CEN and what it means for LION members. Rick recommends “seeing how it goes” with CEN, because there is a potential for cost savings, and if we are not satisfied with CEN, LION could always change back to our current (or a different) means of telecom in the future. He noted that even if costs return to current levels, members may still see a net reduction of telecom costs through CEN for whatever time it is in use. Marie suggested developing a contingency plan in case CEN does not work out.

3. Mark Hewes’ Departure

1. Joan shared a spreadsheet she had developed for the staff to determine how Mark’s tasks would be divided in the interim. Matt reminded the board that non-emergency requests for service can be e-mailed to: helpdesk@lioninc.org so that requests can be put in the service queue. Emergencies should still be called in to the office to expedite the response.

2. Consulting support: Mark had suggested contacting Richard Lewis (formerly with Dynix) for assistance with the migration. Leslie had suggested contacting Linda Rusczek regarding providing services such as reports and other day-to-day Dynix assistance. The board consensus was positive and encouraged Joan to contact Linda. Joan noted it would be helpful to staff in the interim if libraries would provide a printed copy of special reports they would like generated. Turnaround for reports will not be as speedy, they will strive to have reports to libraries in no longer than a week but asked for everyone’s patience as the current staff becomes more familiar with the report generating process. Mark has offered to assist libraries in learning how to do reports themselves. Joan will provide Mark’s e-mail and phone number to any library that would like to work directly with Mark. Rick noted that many “core” reports are already set in the system so libraries can begin running their own reports if they are interested.

3. Mary Fiorelli, chair of the Personnel Committee, reported on the plans for hiring Mark’s replacement. A draft of the revised job description was distributed. A major proposed change was to the title of the position, from Associate Director to System Administrator. The Board had several questions about this change, and about the proposal to eliminate the provision for the person in this position to act as director if the Director should become unavailable. The consensus of the board indicated that there should be some provision for a LION staff person to be designated as responsible for stepping in as Director if needed. There were also suggestions regarding job posting language and other job description details. The Personnel Committee noted suggestions and they will work to revise the job description and notice and get the notice posted as soon as possible.

4. Get together for Mark: Sue and Peter will work to find a time with Mark for a casual get together, proposed date is May 13th at 5PM in East Hampton. Peter will notify the board when the place, time and date is confirmed. Anyone interested in contributing to a gift for Mark, please send a check (made out to Joan) to the LION office.

4. Pricing/Fee Schedule Task force

Leslie S. and Peter reported that:

III system CAN be regulated to allocate set number of staff licenses per building, so administration of accounts and numbers is possible. Therefore, it would be possible to determine annual fees on the number of licenses per library. Their proposed general philosophy regarding a fee schedule is to:

 Take LION overall budget

At least 3/4 of budget can be assumed as costs of running ILS administration take the $ amount and divide by # of staff licenses at each library

1/4 of budget would then be the shared pooled cost of PAC licenses. That figure would be divided by the # of PAC licenses at each library

The committee hasn’t crunched the number on all of this yet, and % may need to be adjusted, but they were looking to have feedback about the overall theory of this method of computing annual fees.

Notes:

  • The method eliminates the “over” and “under” configuration model
  • Libraries must be willing to commit to the number of staff/pac licenses they will have and pay for each year will need to be a “lock” to be able to plan for the income and expenditures in the operating budget
  • They are still working on developing an equitable buy-in cost for new libraries so that it is attractive to new members and also builds up cash reserve
  • Suggestions included having a set aside each year in the budget for the cash reserve to consciously build back savings. Overall feedback to this proposed method was positive. The committee meets again on May 16th.

5. Health insurance and CT Consortia Alliance

Joan reported that the three consortia (Library Connections, Bibliomation and `LION) have proposed creating a legal alliance to create a buying group, which may assist in obtaining competitive rates for health insurance. This alliance may lead to other cooperative purchasing in the future. Agreeing to the alliance does not commit us to purchasing anything or create any liability for LION. Joan would be looking to have an October start up for this and get rates for the next round of health insurance quotes in January. She outlined the basic administrative issues. The consensus of the board was that this was a positive move and encouraged Joan to proceed.

6. Overdrive Demonstration: Downloadable audio vendor Overdrive contacted LION staff regarding a group demonstration (based on conversations at CLA). The board asked to put that on hold for the time being.

VII. REPORTS:

1. LION Staff

1. Joan:  She and Leslie will be meeting with LEAP regarding a possible partnership.

2. Rick – nothing further to report

3. Matt- nothing further to report

Peter C. and Lew D. praised Matt and Rick for their help recently at WSB and NLN.

2. Committee Reports

Finance: will meet on May 16th

No other committee reports.

VIII. Old Business:  None

IX. New Business

1. Valerie K. asked for comments about EBSCO host and feedback regarding price increase and whether other LION libraries had cancelled the service.

X. Adjournment

Meeting Adjourned by President Peter C. at 11:55 AM (Jan D. motion, Lew D. second).

NEXT MEETING: May 24th, 9:30 am at Russell Library, Middletown 
Refreshments at next meeting: Westbrook

Respectfully Submitted:

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes