Board Minutes 2004 08

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
August 10, 2004

PRESENT: Barbara Cangiano, BRB; Valerie Harrod, DUR; William Deakyne, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Sandy Ruoff, GUI; Stephanie Johnson, GUI: Nancy Wardell, GUI/CIRC; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Paula Soares, MDT; Vince Juliano, MDT; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Hannah Estra, NWC; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, LION. ABSENT: EHP; HER; ELH; MRD; MTC

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Gale Bradbury at 9:40 a.m. at the Russell Library in Middletown, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA: Gale and Joan suggested reordering the Action items in order to give Joan time to call for more information for item #3. Changed item #3 to item #5 by common consensus.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: Gale introduced Vince Juliano, who has joined the staff of the Russell Library as Assistant Director. Board members introduced themselves and welcomed Vince to the LION family!

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: Mary Fiorelli moved and Sandy Ruoff seconded that the minutes of the June 22, 2004 meeting be approved.

Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan G. distributed the report for July 2004 and detailed some expenses and revenues, including the current status of the cash reserve. Report was filed for audit.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. PC purchase update

Joan distributed a spreadsheet detailing progress to date at each library. There were VERY positive comments from board members regarding this project how professionally the installations were performed, kudos to Matt Kate and Gen for their work and helpful approach, etc. All new installations should be completed within the next week or so.

Rick noted that LION staff will need to install updates of the anti-virus software on the new PC’s. The PC’s came with only the 3-month subscription, and we have the year renewal to install.

2. Theft of new PC’s

Joan reported that some of the new PC’s (while still in boxes) were stolen from the Woodbridge Library. LION’s insurance will cover all but $250.00 of the replacement cost.

Joan asked the Board if the consensus was to have a policy regarding this kind of situation.

Two questions were raised:

a. Who, LION or member library, is responsible for covering the cost difference between what LION’s insurance will cover and insurance payment?

b. What should be done in the interim to provide equipment for the Library’s use?

 In response to issue #1, and after some discussion, Leslie moved that:

LION equipment/devices that are delivered to a member library are the responsibility of the member library until LION staff completely installs the equipment/devices.

Peter C. seconded.

Motion passed unanimously.

By common consensus, it was agreed that in the current situation with Woodbridge, LION would cover the $250.

 Continued discussion regarding issue #2 conceded that no policy could be provided as a blanket since each case would need to be handled individually.

According to Mark, the insurance broker working with LION has a thorough understanding of LION’s insurance needs and unique relationship with LION owned hardware in member libraries.

3. Telecom upgrade project

Rick reported that the core router is in place, the ATM is up and running and all sites have the remote hardware installed.

Rick hopes to start cutting over to the new network today and will start with the smaller libraries. His goal is to complete the transfer at each library with no significant down time unnoticeable in some instances! He anticipates having every library crossed over within a few weeks. He does need to visit every library and touch each PC in order to reconfigure the IP addresses.

NOTE: IP Address authentication will need to be updated with vendors of online electronic databases. Rick will provide you with a list of your new IP addresses. Rick will take care of notifying ICONN on behalf of LION libraries.

4. ILS Search Report

Joan distributed a timeline and narrative from the Negotiations/Selections team that detailed progress on next ILS research and evaluation. Joan requested and received (during the meeting!) an updated price quote from III. While the quote was still higher than hoped, it had come down from prior bids.

There was discussion about the Team’s activities, vendor demos and site visits. The Team indicated that it was prepared to recommend that LION move forward with more formal contract negotiations with III.

William Deakyne moved and Peter C. seconded a motion to move forward with contract negotiations with Innovative Interfaces. Motion passed unanimously.

Leslie requested that Joan prepare a more detailed cost comparison chart between Dynix and III in order to defend our decision to select III over Dynix. Sandy R. noted that she felt the Team’s narrative, feedback from our colleagues at other library systems and subsequent discussion justified our selection and she felt comfortable with the cost differential.

Lew commented that he thought going with III would make LION more attractive to libraries looking to join a consortium, or some stand alones that will now consider consortium membership.

Leslie mentioned that the board should be aware that there will be major changes to the way in which we all do business, regardless of the system we go with. She noted that the issue of a central patron database (unanimously recommended by the Negotiations Team and agreed to by consensus at the present meeting) will affect how we handle many of our circulation procedures. It was suggested by the LION staff that the circulation committee meet soon after contract signing (during migration preparation) to come to terms with the issues surrounding a central patron database.

The board also agreed by consensus that it would be a good idea to contract with Rob McGee for assistance with contract negotiations.

Next steps: Joan will contact Rob McGee and proceed as recommended with III. We also have attorneys prepared to do contract review.

Timeline: we would hope to finalize contract negotiations by November and look to migrate in October of 2005.

The Negations Team will continue to assist Joan and Rob McGee in this process, but Bridget requested that someone with more contract negotiation experience be appointed the Chairperson of the committee. The Committee will plan to meet sometime in early September to confirm next steps.

5 Next Board meeting

The next meeting will be held September 21 at 9:30 at the Russell Library. The date change is requested considering the NELA conference.

VI.  REPORTS

1.Staff

Joan Gillespie:

a.) Joan is preparing LION membership bids for two public libraries and one special library.

b.) She is discussing options for creating a new membership group for providing insurance.

Mark Hewes:

a.) He is hoping for good news regarding the USF and is guardedly optimistic.

b.) He will post to the website record counts and code counts for member libraries in preparation for migration. Now is a good time to start thinking about clean-up reports and adding or removing codes.

Rick Widlansky: Nothing further to report.

2.  Committee Reports

  • Nominating None
  • Finance None
  • Personnel None
  • Planning/Negotiations reported
  • Circulation none
  • Bibliographic none
  • PAC none

VII. OLD BUSINESS: None

VIII. NEW BUSINESS

1. Bill D. asked Mark to rewrite/reproduce/update and distribute the What is LION? brochure. Bill uses this to remind his board members about LION membership.

2. Sandy Ruoff mentioned that Guilford has opened the holds matrix to DVD’s and encourages other libraries to do the same. Some discussion about format and new materials in the open holds matrix ensued. Mark will send around a report that will list the collections in each library and whether or not they are eligible for system wide or local holds.

IX. ADJOURN: Valerie moved to adjourn at 11:25 AM. Motion passed unanimously.

NEXT MEETING: September 21, 2004 9:30 AM AT THE RUSSELL LIBRARY
Refreshments at June meeting: OTIS LIBRARY

Respectfully Submitted,

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes