Board Minutes 2004 06

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
June 22, 2004

PRESENT: Kathy Rieger, BRB; Valerie Harrod, DUR; Kelly Marszycki, EHR, Lydia Main, ELY; Marie Shaw, ELH; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Sandra Ruoff, GUI; Stephanie Johnson, GUI: Nancy Wardell, GUI/CIRC; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Roxanne Moreau, MRD; Suzanne Risley, MTC; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Linda Summers, NWC; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Betty Page, STC; Amy Humphries, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, LION. ABSENT: EHP; MDT

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Gale Bradbury at 9:40 a.m. at the Guilford Library in Guilford, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:

Jan D. moved and Valerie H. seconded that the minutes of the May 25, 2004 meeting be approved.

Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan G. distributed the report for May 2004. Report was filed for audit.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. PC purchase update

Joan distributed a list of library installations and a schedule of upcoming installations. She detailed some of the issues the team has experienced to date in some libraries as well as some staffing and software issues:

Greg is no longer working on the project. Libraries may see Joan’s daughters assisting with the installations; this is a temporary solution to the staffing needs for installations and not intended as a permanent staffing move. Joan asks that if people have concerns with this to please let her or the executive committee know.

The Norton Anti-Virus licenses that came with the PC’s are not the licenses that we had contracted for, so there may be an update in this for us down the line.

Several board members commended the entire LION staff, and noted Rick and Matt for their efforts in the installation process, for the smooth transition to these wonderful new machines.

The staff estimates that all the installations will be completed by the end of July.

2.ILS Update

Bridget, Joan and the committee reported on the visits to Triple I sites and their impressions from the visits all generally positive. Visit participants were able to see and hear about actual functionality and software configuration as installed, which was different from the Horizon visits and feedback from Horizon sites. The Committee recommends continuing to pursue Triple I as an option for us and proposes having the vendor come to present demonstrations in July.

The staff was asked to provide their input. Mark reported his feelings about the system, both pro and con and supports going forward with the demonstrations.

There were several questions about the costs of this system; Joan’s conversations with the vendor indicate that we would be able to get the system and still stay within our budget (and retain a healthy reserve fund). It was noted that Horizon is now priced so low that it may not provide a completely accurate measure for evaluating system costs, especially if there is key functionality missing from the system.

Joan will speak more with Rob McGee at ALA and will work with III to get a more detailed cost evaluation.

Demonstrations are scheduled for July 7th and 8th at the Russell library. Joan will provide more information about the visits in the coming weeks.

3. Telecom upgrade project

Rick reported that all is well and moving along. All telephone lines have been installed and fiber lines run. The ATM equipment has been installed and other electrical and site work and equipment is underway, done and/or ordered. He will be setting an installation schedule in early July. His goal is to lessen thedowntime for each library and does not anticipate much down time.He will be doing the libraries with the new PC’s first; no library will have telecom done before new PC’s.

Rick noted that the remote IP will stay the same for libraries, so there will be no need to change these with online vendors.

4. Fee Structure revision update

Joan shared a handout of progress on addressing this issue to date (a planning overview). She reported that until we have a sense of next system costs it is difficult to prepare a draft, although the methodology and pricing formulas can be discussed. She recommends continuing to work on this with the finance committee. She and the committee are sensitive to the need to have a pricing schedule that makes joining LION attractive. If prospective members want pricing between now and when the new schedule is determined, Joan will work with the finance and/or planning committees to establish quotes and bids sensitive to the desire for new members and yet the current issues including new PC’s and new telecom issues.

5. Next Board meeting

The next meeting will be held August 17th at 9:30 at the Russell Library. There will not be a July meeting scheduled.

VII.  REPORTS

1. Staff

Joan Gillespie: Joan commended the staff for all their hard work over the last few months. Mark Hewes: Mark warned that linking to corporate sites without permission may be problematic! Be careful!

Rick Widlansky: Nothing further to report.

2.Committee Reports

  • Nominating None
  • Finance Reported
  • Personnel None.
  • Planning/Negotiations The Next System Selection Committee will meet after the demonstrations.
  • Circulation none
  • Bibliographic none
  • PAC none

VII. OLD BUSINESS:  None

VIII. NEW BUSINESS:  None

IX. ADJOURN: Valerie moved to adjourn at 11 AM. Motion passed unanimously.

NEXT MEETING: August 17th, 2004 9:30 AM AT THE RUSSELL LIBRARY
Refreshments at June meeting: OLD LYME LIBRARY

Respectfully Submitted,

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes