Board Minutes 2004 05

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
May 25, 2004

PRESENT: Barbara Cangiano, BRB; Valerie Harrod, DUR; Kelly Marszycki, EHR, Lydia Main, ELY; Marie Shaw, ELH; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Sandra Ruoff, GUI; Nancy Wardell, GUI/CIRC; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Paula Soares, MDT; Katie Brossard, MTC; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Hannah Estra, NWC; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, Matt Beardsley, LION. ABSENT: EHP, MRD; NLN

 

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Gale Bradbury at 9:35 a.m. at the Russell Library in Middletown, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:

Jan D. moved and Mary F. seconded that the minutes of the April 27, 2004 meeting be approved.

Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan G. distributed the report for April 2004. Report was filed for audit.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

 1. /2. PC purchase update

 A. Joan distributed a draft schedule for estimated shipping for the PC order; she will keep us posted to confirm or update these dates. Joan announced that Greg Ritter will be assisting Rick and Matt in the PC install process.

The staff reviewed options for protecting flat-panel monitors, as they are more sensitive than CRT screens. LION staff is concerned that these LION owned devices will become damaged and need to be replaced. Screen protectors will cost LION between 3,000-10,000 depending on the model. The consensus of the board was to try the monitors without LION-provided protection to start. Libraries wishing to use monitor protectors can contact LION if they would like the plexi-glass type or make arrangements to purchase their own. This issue will be revised by the board if monitor damage becomes a big issue across libraries. Otherwise local libraries may be billed for monitor replacement should a LION-owned device become irreparably damaged.

B. PC lockdown sets: in a similar discussion, LION staff suggested using PC lockdown devices in areas where PC theft may be a problem. The consensus again was that lockdown sets were not necessary for every library, but if libraries wanted to have them installed or if LION staff felt there were libraries that should consider the sets there would be follow up on a case-to-case basis. Libraries may wish to consult their insurance policies to see how LION-owned equipment may (or may not) be covered in case of damage or theft.

 C. Add-on, options and software:

The LION pc’s may be customized regarding keyboards, lightpens/scanners, receipt printers, etc. If libraries are interested in peripherals other than those listed in the specs, please contact the LION office. Software for MS Office applications is NOT included with these PC’s; low-cost software can be purchased through techsoup.com; please be aware that techsoup is for non-profit use and you can only order once per year. If you have questions about software please call the LION office. Ann P. mentioned that Wesleyan University is an authorized reseller of Microsoft products.

D. The LION staff asks that you be prepared when they arrive to tell them where the new pc’s are going, and what to do with old ones (Greg has offered to take away old ones, and if you select this option Rick suggests having him confirm that he has removed all software and files from the HD before taking away). Libraries will be responsible for removal of the old PC’s and all packaging materials.

E. Rick will be touring through all libraries to upgrade hubs and check network infrastructure. He needs to know if we will need extension cords if the PC’s will be installed more than 6 ft. away from where the monitors will be located.

 3. Site Visits

Bridget and the team reported that the visit to the CONSULS site at CCSU was very successful. The team met with John Rutherford and saw demonstrations of the circulation and cataloging systems. The participants were very impressed with the III system. Joan followed up with III reps and they would be willing to bring down the costs and come to do a demo if we’re interested in pursuing their system. Joan did not go further at that point, but was going to wait until after the next site visits.

Joan and Bridget will be visiting the PALS system in Suffolk County and then a group will be visiting the Minuteman system in Rhode Island in June. The Team hopes to have a firm recommendation by the June meeting regarding proceeding with a III revised quote or ending III investigations and moving on with Horizon.

4. Horizon

There was no significant update; Joan has been speaking with Liz Pitts at Dynix regarding site visits with a Horizon specialist, but Joan has had difficulty in getting Liz to find an appropriate person to come. Sandy R. suggested that some LION staff member’s travel out there to speak with the appropriate people. The board agreed that this was a good idea. Sandy L. asked whether Rob Magee has been involved; Joan reported that Rob offered to meet with her at ALA. Rob is aware that we are looking at III.

5. Telecom upgrade project

Rick reported that all is going well so far; plans are in place to move over to the new network in mid-June to early July. This will be adjusted based on PC installations. He is working with SBC to ensure downtime is as short as possible. LION will be running two networks for a short time, but this will be seamless to the member libraries.

 6. CEN Update

Joan attended a meeting regarding CEN progress and plans. The big question from libraries was how was funding going to be handled over the long term; Joan was not satisfied that this question was answered completely and that a clear plan for the future of the CEN network was not put forth. There is an overall concern for reliability and reassurance that there will be adequate technical support for participating libraries. Joan did offer that LION may be willing to serve as a tech support hub for a trial (with LION being financially compensated for the service); she will keep us posted on that project.

Joan also mentioned that we are the only network with a telecom specialist and that deals with SBC for our telecom needs; the other networks are going with DBO/state systems.

7. Fee structure revision

Sue Berescek has called a meeting to discuss revising the fee structure. The meeting will be held on June 8th at 10AM at the Russell Library. Mark and Joan have been gathering examples of fee structures from other consortia. There were concerns expressed that prices be kept at current levels for this fiscal year. Joan mentioned that there will be sensitivity to a transitional fee structure to ensure that libraries are not facing changes to current budgets.

VII. REPORTS

1. Staff

Joan Gillespie:

a. Dynix has sent the invoice for the remaining fee. This will cause budget to be over in this line, but telecom costs are coming down so this is anticipated to balance out.

Mark Hewes: Barcode order has gone in. They hope to deliver and invoice before June 30th. Reminder: acquisitions and all year-end processes need to be done in coming weeks. Schools will be pulled off holds matrix queue.

 Rick Widlansky: Nothing further to report.

 Matt Beardsley: Nothing further to report.

2. Committee Reports

  • Nominating – None
  •  Finance – reported meeting for June 8th.
  •  Personnel – None.
  •  Planning/Negotiations – already reported. Mark reported that he is not inclined to continue with iPac upgrades until we have decided whether we are going with Horizon. The upgrades are problematic and caused lots of glitches last time. The board concurred with his suggestions.
  • Circulation – none
  • Bibliographic – none; Mark reported that many libraries requested listing of serial holdings. Libraries that use fast-adds for magazines could not get listings that Mark offered – they are only available on good (MARC) bib records.
  •  PAC – none

VII. OLD BUSINESS None

VIII.  NEW BUSINESS

1. Valerie asked if anyone has parking lot rental agreements with third party groups to contact her.

IX. ADJOURN: Mary F. moved and Jan D. seconded motion to adjourn at 11:15 AM. Motion passed unanimously.

NEXT MEETING: June 22, 2004 9:30 AM AT THE GUILFORD LIBRARY
Refreshments at June meeting: Guilford Library

Respectfully Submitted,

 Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes