Board Minutes 2004 03

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
March 23, 2004

PRESENT: Barbara Cangiano, BRB; Valerie Harrod, DUR; Sue Berescik, EHP; Kelly Marszycki, EHR, Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Linda Rusczek, MDT; Paula Soares, MDT; Roxanne Moreau, MRD; Suzanne Risley, MTC; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Linda Summers, NWC; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, Matt Beardsley, LION. ABSENT: ELH, OLY

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Gale Bradbury at 9:29 a.m. at the Russell Library in Middletown, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA:

Peter Ciparelli requested that the Personnel Committee be added to the action items so that the Board could go into executive session.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT:

President Gale Bradbury introduced the two new people in the meeting: Linda R. introduced Paula Soares, who has replaced Isabelle Danforth. Joan introduced Matt Beardsley, who is the new Network Technician for LION. Linda R. also shared that Vince Juliano will be taking on her position at the Russell Library when she retires.

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:

Leslie S. moved and Roxanne M. seconded that the minutes of the Feb. 24th meeting be approved.

Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan G. distributed the report for February 2004. Neither Joan nor Linda had additional comments. Filed for audit.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. Update on PC Order

Joan reported that Dynix will no longer honor the quoted price for the PC’s we had placed on order, citing increased costs from Dell and their commitment was only to match Dell’s price. We do have their quote and our order in writing, but they are seemingly not interested in honoring this. Much heated discussion ensued. Joan will pursue other quotes for the PC’s and monitors.

2. Telecom Upgrade

Mark distributed letters to each library regarding new DSL/phone lines that can be installed at libraries that need them (and have access to them) to replace existing frame relay circuits. In this arrangement, LION would add the telecom fees to the quarterly operating fees, in much the same way as the frame relay costs are assessed. This line can also be used as a local telephone line, or as a “Bat Phone” to the LION office. Mark mentioned that the members may have existing telephone lines that could be used, or that they may be able to get these telephone lines at a better cost than LION was suggesting. But staff stressed the convenience of LION doing it and the fact that LION would be offering a “soup to nuts” service for the DSL libraries.

Lew asked whether this is necessary if the CEN project goes through. Rick and Mark reported that the premium DSL we will be receiving is better than the T1 the state will be providing in the long run, and they reminded us that the CEN deal is not completely no cost to the library, the state will be billing libraries for a portion of the T1 line they have installed. BUT, they stressed that LION will accommodate whichever way libraries choose to go for their telecom service.

Leslie moved and Peter seconded for LION to proceed with arranging DSL service lines for the libraries that are eligible for this service. Motion passed unanimously. Other libraries not eligible for DSL should speak with Mark and Rick about the services they will need for their telecom backbone.

Mark noted that the new telecommunications network will cost more than the current network which is being replaced, but the hybrid network which is part DSL, part frame and part ATM, is significantly less expensive than the total frame network we were faced with before we discovered that DSL was available to us.

3. Equipment Fees for Upgrades

 Mark distributed a handout detailing the costs of components related to the PC project.

Mark has included the one-time costs of replacing these items, but reminded libraries that they would need to consider how upgrades would be handled in the future. The prices reflected those negotiated with Dynix before they balked, and Joan will continue to negotiate further with other vendors to acquire this equipment and software. Valerie moved and Lydia seconded a motion to continue negotiation and purchase of equipment with a total cost for those items listed not to exceed $300,000. Motion passed unanimously.

4. Rob McGee, attorney and contract negotiations update

Joan met with Brad Whittle on-site at LION about the contract negotiations, but it was before the PC fallout. Joan will continue to try to work with Brad on this issue, and also will speak to Rob to share that the Board feels that Dynix’s handling of this issue does not send a very positive message in light of our pending contract negotiations. Jacquelyn Scheib is the attorney that will be reviewing the Dynix contract for us, she was recommended by Ed Scherer.

5. Demonstrations of Horizon

Joan announced demonstration dates for the Horizon system:

  • April 13 9:30 to 11:30 Overview for Board & others
  • April 13 1:00 to 3:00 Bibliographic Committee
  • April 14 9:30 to 11:30 Circulation Committee
  • April 14 1:00 to 3:00 PAC Committee

Valerie Chase, Brad Whittle and Liz Pitts will be on site during these two days of demonstrations.

6. Peter C. on behalf of the Personnel Committee, moved at 10:40 AM to go into executive session in order to discuss personnel issues. No second was necessary. Motion passed.

Peter C. on behalf of the Personnel Committee moved at 11:20 AM to come out of executive session. No second was necessary. Motion passed

Sandy Long moved that we accept the salary adjustments as drafted by the executive director [2.9% cost of living increase and 2% step increase] for all employees, but the catalogers’ pay scale rates not be adjusted as drafted until the personnel committee reviews the proposed step changes. Lew Daniels seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

VIII. REPORTS

Staff

1. Executive Director, Joan Gillespie

Darren Kelly has been hired in a temporary capacity to assist with the PC installation project.

2. Associate Director, Mark Hewes – Nothing additional to report.

3. Network Manager, Rick Widlansky – Nothing additional to report.

Committee Reports

1. Nominating – Valerie Harrod moved on behalf of the Nominating Committee to approve the nomination of Sue Berescik for the position of Treasurer. There were no additional nominations from the floor. No second was necessary. Motion passed unanimously.

2. Finance – A meeting is scheduled for March 31st at 9:30AM at the Guilford Library to work on the budget.

3. Personnel – Reported earlier in meeting.

4. Planning/Negotiations – there will be a fee schedule task force named to review the current fee schedule.

5. Circulation – none

6. Bibliographic – none

7. PAC – none

ALL COMMITTEES WILL NEED TO MEET AFTER THE HORIZON DEMOS

IX. OLD BUSINESS – None

X. NEW BUSINESS

Gale B. expressed thanks to Linda R. for all her hard work on behalf of LION! Best of luck in retirement and in all your new ventures, Linda! You will be missed.

XI. ADJOURN

Lydia M. moved to adjourn.- Meeting adjourned at 11:40 PM.

NEXT MEETING: April 27, 2003 9:30 AM AT THE RUSSELL LIBRARY
Refreshments at April meeting: Mitchell College Library

Respectfully Submitted,

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary