Board Minutes 2004 01

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
January 27, 2004

PRESENT: Kathy Rieger, BRB; Valerie Harrod, DUR; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Suellen Croteau, GUI; Gale Bradbury, LED; Sandy Long, MAD; Linda Rusczek, MDT; Roxanne Moreau, MRD; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Kathleen Marszycki, Rathbun; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, LION. ABSENT: EHP, HAD; MTC; WBR; ELH; NWC

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Gale Bradbury at 9:35 a.m. at the Russell Library in Middletown, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA:

The order of the agenda was changed, but no additions were suggested.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:

Valerie moved that the minutes of the December, 2003 meeting be approved. Peter seconded.

Motion passed; Lydia Main abstained.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan G. distributed the report for December 2003. Neither Joan nor Linda had additional comments. Filed for audit.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. Office Manager position

Joan met with the Personnel Committee to review the current staffing situation. She distributed a job description for the Office Manager position.

The Personnel Committee moved to reactivate the Office Manager position.

Discussion: Lew asked if sufficient funding was included in the current budget; Joan assured the board there was enough funding for this position. She noted that Patty Hovick would be offered the position, which would be an increase of about 10 hours per week for her, at about the same rate of pay. Benefits are included at this level, but Patty may not elect to receive benefits and is not eligible for pay in lieu of benefits at 30 hours per week.

No second was necessary. Motion passed unanimously.

2. Upgrading Telecom for LION / PC upgrades

Our present SBC telecom expires at the end of June, 2004. Joan, Mark and Rick outlined the options for our next telecom contract, in light of the need for our telecom infrastructure to improve before moving to the next ILS system.

Pro’s: faster connections; lower cost (with USF discount; about $1K more per month if no USF discount; discount is anticipated); available in July, implemented as soon as possible at member libraries.

Con’s: some one-time equipment upgrade costs; all libraries need CAT5 wiring; SBC response time not always great;

Staff recommendation: go with contract for higher speed connections and apply for USF discount. Use cash reserves for one-time equipment costs.

Part II: Cannot upgrade telecom network (or go to a new ILS system) unless move to an all PC environment.

The time has come to accept that this needs to be done.

Mark and Rick solicited group pricing for new PC’s (Dell’s). We can get all new PC’s, with flat screen monitors and 512MB, for less than $1,000 per PC. And FREE shipping.

Letter of intent for PC purchase needs to go in Friday (Jan. 30th); payment will be in March, delivery in May/June.

Staff recommends having cash reserves cover the cost for member libraries to upgrade those terminals currently used for staff and public use on the network.

LION would own the PC’s for 3 years, at which time they would no longer be on warranty and would revert to the property of the Library.

Mark emphasized that LION and member libraries MUST have an upgrade/replacement schedule in order to keep the PC’s running at optimum levels. A bad PC brings the entire network down in response time and performance.

Leslie clarified that there will still be a DSL network for public use (Internet access) and the new telecom network will be for LION devices and functions (CIRC, CAT, etc).

Peter moved that:

1. The LION staff proceed expeditiously in implementing the telecom solution recommended by the staff, sign the SBC contract and to apply for USF discounts for the new service; and

2. The LION staff proceed with purchasing PC’s (sending a letter of intent to Dell/Dynix) to upgrade terminals/existing pc’s at every paying port; PC configuration includes 512MB RAM with a 15″ flat screen and virus software (full spec available from Mark); and

3. Use cash reserve funds to finance the one-time costs of these two related projects.

Notes:

Each member library will need to:
Upgrade all CAT3 wiring to CAT5 wiring
Install (if not already available) a telephone line for the DSL network (consult Mark or Rick for details)
Surge protectors for each PC

LION will provide:

PC’s and telecom equipment related to motion detailed above

Light pens for staff terminals (new scanners would be the member library’s cost responsibility)

There was considerable discussion.

Valerie called the question.

Motion approved – passed unanimously.

Much cheering was noted.

Members expressed thanks to Joan, Mark and Rick for bringing this exciting proposal to the board.

3. Horizon update

Joan and Bridget shared their findings from the ALA trip and vendor visits.

Joan, Mark and Leslie shared their experience at the GMILCS site visit. This was a very positive visit. The Selection Team is meeting directly after this meeting to go over next steps in the process.

4. ILS quote from III

Joan reported she received a quote from III, which is quite a bit higher than our other quotes. It was noted that we may have some leverage regarding costs. The Team will discuss at the meeting following.

5. SIRSI demo

Valerie reported that she spoke with a SIRSI library site, who was not particularly pleased with the SIRSI system and company response. Bridget shared that the SIRSI Rooms product is very impressive. Joan inquired if there was interest in a SIRSI demo. No one expressed particular interest in a SIRSI, or a III, demo. This discussion will continue at the Team meeting.

VII. REPORTS

1. Staff

Executive Director, Joan Gillespie – Nothing additional to report.

Associate Director, Mark Hewes

1. Old UPS (from Russell) is finally gone!

2. CD/DVD label details have been e-mailed to everyone.

3. 856 tags have been cleaned up.

Network Manager, Rick Widlansky – No additional report

2. Committee Reports

  • Finance – none
  • Personnel – already reported
  • Planning/Negotiations – already reported; meeting following board meeting
  • Circulation – none
  • Bibliographic – none
  • PAC – none

VIII. OLD BUSINESS

1. Linda R. leaving Russell in two months, LION needs a treasurer! Payroll responsibilities have been streamlined, so Treasurer position is a bit easier in this regard.

IX. NEW BUSINESS – None

X. ADJOURN

Ann P. moved to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 11:35 PM.

NEXT MEETING: February 24, 2003 9:30 AM AT THE RUSSELL LIBRARY

Refreshments at Feb. meeting: Russell Library

Respectfully Submitted,

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes