Board Minutes 2003 04

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
April 22, 2003

PRESENT: Barbara Cangiano, BRB; Marie Shaw, ELH; William Deakyne, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Nancy Wardell, GUI/CIRC; Stephanie Johnson, GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gale Bradbury, LED; Marcia Sokolnicki, MAD; Marcia Trotta, MRD; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Susan Donovan, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Pat Johnson, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Joan Gillespie, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, Paul Nelson, LION. ABSENT: EHP, Rathbun, NLN, NWC.

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Gale Bradbury at 9:35 a.m. at the Russell Library, Middletown, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: Leslie S. moved that the minutes be accepted. Linda R. seconded.

Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan G. distributed the reports for February and March. She did not feel there were any noteworthy expenses to highlight. Linda R. concurred. Linda noted that there is no approved budget for FY04, but a budget will be presented for approval at the June meeting. This has been approved by the executive committee. The finance committee is operating under the assumption that there will not be an increase in member fees. If there are unusual expenses they can be covered from reserves, which currently show a balance of approximately $628,000.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. Anniversary Party – June 5th, 2003 Camelot Cruise 6-9 PM

Mary Fiorelli reported that invitations are being sent out to member library directors, committee chairs, staff members and past LION VIPs. She noted that there would most likely be additional spots available if libraries would like to have additional staff members attend. Bridget will send a message after the RSVP date (May 21st) regarding available seats, and at that point anyone who wishes to attend will be welcome. Bridget Q-C will send a message out via e-mail to the Board members regarding invitations.

2. USF

Mark H. reported that we have received confirmation of our discount this year of $35,000 for Internet and telecom (43%). Next year’s Internet has been confirmed, but we have not yet heard about telecom.

3. Insurance

Joan reported that she has found good choices for medical coverage for Paul N. and Rick W. She also reported on options for coverage of the Executive Director. The board asked Joan to proceed with her plans for obtaining coverage as necessary based on her preliminary findings. Joan will also be proceeding with obtaining disability insurance and life insurance for appropriate staff members.

In order to bring the Personnel Policy in agreement with our insurance practice, Leslie S. moved that:
“The Benefits section of the Personnel Policy be amended so that item a.) Insurance, section 2). now reads: “Individual medical, dental, life and disability insurance is offered LION employees working a regular schedule of at least 30 hours per week.” Mary F. seconded.

Motion passed unanimously.

Leslie moved that: “The wording: “The benefits outlined in this section [Benefits section of Personnel Policy] do not apply to the Executive Director, whose benefits are set forth in the Executive Director’s employment agreement.” Valerie H. seconded.

Discussion: Marie S. inquired about the existence of an employment agreement with Joan. Gale B. responded that the employment letter was currently in force, and a more formal agreement would now be drafted. A copy of Joan’s agreement will be in her file, and a generic agreement will be shared with Board members as part of the Personnel Policy update.

Call question: Motion passed unanimously.

Issues and sample text of motions is included in Joan’s memo regarding insurance, which was distributed at the meeting and is attached to file copy of the minutes of this meeting.

4. Computer room upgrades

Joan and Mark reported the issues surrounding the upgrade of the central UPS and related air conditioner unit. The set-up is about 20 years old, very expensive to maintain and upgrade, and doesn’t meet current needs. Upgrading would require capital expenses that may not be incurred by Russell Library. Joan and Mark suggest considering relocating the office to a more appropriately wired and air-conditioned office. This issue will be taken up by the Planning Committee. Joan would like to incorporate this issue within a five-year plan for services.

5. June Meeting

The June meeting of LION will be held on June 17th at the Guilford Library to avoid a conflict with ALA. Since the budget will be up for approval, it is essential that there be a quorum. Please make every effort to attend.

6. SNET frame relay contract

Joan reported that there may be an issue in upcoming months regarding our SNET contract. Several libraries have dropped frame relay service and while we are contractually obligated to continue to pay for these accounts, the amounts have been removed from our bill. Our local rep. is aware of this, but their contract office has not corrected us.

7. Credit Card Issue

Paul reported on two good options for credit card processing and described potential scenarios for how LION and/or LION members would set up the logistics. The consensus is that LION should go to the next step to experiment with service options and see if it makes sense to have libraries pursue this individually or as a group under LION auspices.

8. Anzio on home computers

LION staff members have been asked to install and support Anzio software on member library staffs home computers. Mark requests clarification of this issue, and suggests that language be adopted that will disallow the use of Anzio from unapproved sites (i.e. home computers). Mark will develop language and bring to the next meeting for approval.

9. At Will Employment Status

Leslie moved that the personnel policy be amended to include the following statement: “This policy is not intended as a contractual obligation of the company. The company reserves the right to amend this policy from time to time at its discretion and in accordance with applicable law.” Valerie seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

VII. REPORTS

1. Staff

    • Director, Joan Gillespie – Nothing additional to report
    • Associate Director, Mark Hewes – Nothing additional to report
    • Rick Widlansky – Downtime on 4/21/03 was due to a SNET outage.
    • Paul Nelson – Paul will be updating anti-virus software, which will hopefully enable him to block more spam.

2. Committees Reports

    • Finance – Linda R. will set up meeting before next board meeting
    • Personnel – Met with Joan regarding staff compensation; this will be incorporated into budget planning.
    • Planning – will be meeting.
    • Bibliographic – Met in March and set up meeting schedule for the rest of the year.
    • Circulation – Will be setting up meeting schedule for rest of the year.
    • PAC – no report.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS: None

IX. NEW BUSINESS: None

X. ADJOURN

Jan moved to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.

NEXT MEETING: June 17th 9:30 AM GUILFORD LIBRARY

REFRESHMENTS: MITCHELL COLLEGE

Respectfully Submitted,

Bridget Quinn-Carey
Secretary

ESX

Return to top
Return to Board Minutes