Board Minutes 2003 02

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
February 25, 2003

PRESENT: Barbara Cangiano, BRB; Marie Shaw, ELH; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Nancy Wardell, GUI/CIRC; Ann Penfield, HAD; Kelly Marszycki, Rathbun, Gale Bradbury, LED; Marcia Sokolnicki, MAD; Mary Datillo, MDF; Roxanne Moreau, MRD; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Linda Summers, NWC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Jan Day, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Joan Gillespie, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, LION. ABSENT: EHP, DUR, ELY, MDT, MTC, NLN, STC

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Gale Bradbury at 9:33 a.m. at the Russell Library, Middletown, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA:

1. Joan requested that we add item 7. Telephone System under Action/Discussion items.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: NONE

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: Correction of Dec. 17th minutes: location should read: Russell Library, Middletown, CT. Jan D. moved and Kelly M. seconded that the minutes of the December 17, 2002 meeting be approved as corrected. Motion passed unanimously.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Joan distributed the report. She did not feel there were any noteworthy expenses to highlight. Linda was unable to attend due to illness.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. Anniversary Party

Mary Fiorelli reported on the meetings of the “party committee” (Ellen Dunn, Valerie H. and Bridget Q-C). The committee recommends a Camelot Cruise (leaving from East Haddam) for a 3-hour charter on Thursday June 5th. The cost is $40 per person for the cruise, open bar and buffet. The boat could accommodate about 60 people. Valerie and Ellen are working on the guest list and invitations.

Mary made a motion that LION have an anniversary party aboard a Camelot Cruise on June 5th, with LION providing a cost share of 50% of the cost of each member library attendee and 100% of staff attendees. Jan seconded. Motion carried unanimously.

2. iPac

All web accounts will move to iPac as of March 1, 2003. Paul will provide redirects from current WebPac links, but libraries will need to update their links.

3. Overpayment Credits

Joan reported that some libraries have overpaid their fees from PAC for Windows. Leslie S. moved that credits from overpayments be applied to the conversion costs for activating iPac. Marie S. seconded. Motion carried unanimously.

4. Committee Meetings

Joan distributed a sign-up sheet for the Bib, PAC and CIRC committees. Each library needs to designate a member for each committee and commit to sending a representative to the committee meetings. The Committee chairs were asked to work on developing a schedule for meetings so that libraries can better plan for them. Mark will make the schedule available when committee chairs have planned their dates.

5. Credit Cards

Bridget asked the Board if there were any libraries interested in having the LION staff investigate the possibility of coordinating credit card acceptance accounts. Several libraries including Essex, Otis, Old Lyme, Rathbun, Wallingford and Ledyard expressed interest in having the LION staff contact credit card processing firms and banks to get quotes. Bridget will work with the staff if needed to assist Joan and Mark gather information for the members.

6. Insurance

Joan is waiting to hear back from insurance companies regarding employee health insurance. She requests that all libraries ask their insurance providers if LION staff could be covered under their group.

7. Telephone system

Joan reported that the 13-year old phone system was in need of updating. The staff would like to provide voice-mail accounts and cannot do this with the old system. $4,320 would cover the cost of a replacement system. The board’s consensus was for the staff to proceed with the replacement. Marie suggested that Joan explore the potential of USF coverage for the system in future USF applications.

VII. REPORTS

1. Staff

Director, Joan Gillespie
Joan asked the group if any library has extra space in their library or knows of space available in their town to please let her know. There has been no formal announcement of a move, but she is preparing all contingencies.

Associate Director, Mark Hewes
Mark reported on the iPac presentation held earlier in February.

Systems Manager, Rick Widlansky
Rick did not have a report.

2. Committees Reports

  • Finance — none
  • Personnel — none
  • Planning — none
  • Bibliographic — Meeting on March 6th at the Russell Library.
  • Circulation — Meeting being planned for March, date TBA
  • PAC — Cornell McNair reported that the PAC committee held an iPac training session with Mark. It was a very good meeting. The next meeting will be later in the Spring.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS: NONE

IX. NEW BUSINESS:

1. Mark reported on hearing from Bill Edge and Ed Murray. Bill’s health does not seem to be very good right now. Ed has purchased a house in Jacksonville, FL. Mark has his address if anyone is interested.

2. EBSCO may be instituting a rate change.

X. ADJOURN

Jan moved and Mary seconded a motion to adjourn. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 10:25 a.m.

NEXT MEETING: APRIL 29TH 9:30 AM RUSSELL LIBRARY
REFRESHMENTS: MERIDEN

Respectfully Submitted,

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary
ESX

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes