Board Minutes 2001 10

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
October 30, 2001

 

PRESENT: Donna Lolos, BRB; Valerie Harrod, DUR; Marie Shaw, ELH; Lydia Main, ELY; Bridget Quinn-Carey, ESX; Sandy Ruoff, GUI; Ann Penfield, HAD; Gayle Bradbury, LED; Marcia Sokolnicki, MAD; Mary Datillo, MDF; Linda Rusczek, MDT; Roxanne Moreau, MRD; Suzanne Risley, MTC; Peter Ciparelli, NLN; Mary Fiorelli, OLY; Hannah Estra, NWC; Betty Page, STC; Leslie Scherer, WAL; Cynthia Terry, WBR; Lew Daniels, WSB; Nancy Wardell, GUI/CIRC; Cornell McNair, NWC/PAC; Pat Johson, WAL/BIB; Ed Murray, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky, LION. ABSENT: EHP

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Sandy Ruoff at 9:30 a.m. at the Russell Library, Middletown, CT.

II. ADDTIONS TO THE AGENDA: None

III. PUBLIC COMMENT:

A. Mark Hewes and Linda Rusczek commented on Russell Library renovations
B. Ed thanked the group for their flexibility regarding the meeting schedule change

IV. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: Valerie Harrod moved and Marie Shaw seconded a
motion that the minutes of the August 28, 2001 meeting be approved. Motion passed.

V. TREASURER'S REPORT: Linda turned over to Ed. Ed reported that for August we were
15% spent at 17% of the year, only general expenditures. In September we were 21% spent at 25% of the year. There were considerable member sales in September, and a new pix firewall was purchased (as approved in August.)

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. Nominating Committee

Valerie Harrod reported that the slate of officers coming up for a vote in December is:
President: Sandy Ruoff
Vice President: Jan Day
Secretary: Bridget Quinn-Carey
Treasurer: Linda Rusczek

2. Annual Meeting Date
The Annual Meeting will be held on December 18, 2001 at 9:00 at the Russell Library, to be immediately followed by the regular meeting. Lunch plans are being made for a get together after the meeting. Sharon Brettschneider and Ken Wiggins will be invited to attend the meeting and lunch.

3. Ed and Mark reported exciting news that epixtech will be shipping the new version of WebPac, called iPAC, at the end of this quarter, with LION implementation planned forend of Dec. or early in the new year. There are several improvements over WebPac:

A. Runs on XML — no more Java on the client workstation (faster downloads, better compatibility with browsers)
B. Option to have cover art, reviews and annotated bibliographies
C. Better display of search results and holdings

Marie Shaw moved and Lydia Main seconded a motion to spend up to $10,000 from cash reserves to finance book cover art and related add-on features of iPAC to enhance our database. Motion passed.

Mark will send an e-mail regarding demo site that LION members can preview iPAC.

Sandy requested that the PAC Committee consider the impact of iPAC on promoting
LION services.

4. Replacement of dumb terminals with PC's.
Sandy requested discussion of whether the LION board should adopt a mandatory deadline for changing over from dumb terminals to PC's. There was considerable discussion regarding the local considerations as well as factors such as the Gates Foundation Grant expected in the fall of 2002. This issue was referred to the Planning Committee for further consideration, and a report was requested in December and/or February. In conjunction with this discussion, the board requested that Rick perform a technology study (considering impact for moving from dumb to PC's for each library.)

VII. REPORTS

1. Staff

A. Director, Ed Murray
Report was e-mailed. In addition to written report:

1. NetLibrary expects to announce its buyer by end of the week
2. Rathbun Library (East Haddam) is interested in joining LION
3. LION submitted a proposal to CRLC in response to their posting for a network administrator

B. Associate Director, Mark Hewes
Essex and Ivoryton went live on their system on October 2nd and 1st, respectively. Westbrook will be going live in January. Mitchell College will be participating in the open holds matrix.

C. Systems Manager, Rick Widlansky
The pix firewall was replaced, and Rick is still working to figure out all bugs and problems. As per a board member request, LION can — on a library by library and PC by PC basis, block access to chat and other Internet features. Please contact Rick if you are interested in this service. Stony Creek is in their temporary location. Connecticut Education Network — status for libraries doesn't look promising. It may be years (if ever) before T1 access is provided to public libraries via CEN.

2. Committees Reports

Finance — none
Personnel — none
Planning — none
Bibliographic — none
Circulation — none
PAC — Cornell McNair reported that the PAC committee met regarding NetLibrary and submitted recommendations to LION staff directing purchase of NetLibrary titles by category. They recommend purchasing only 1/2 of allocated funds until the result of the NetLibrary buyout is clear.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS

A. Linda reported that Russell successfully implemented Debt Collect.

IX. NEW BUSINESS

A. Leslie suggested that a LION staff person attend both the ILL roundtable meetings (sponsored by WCLC) and reQuest ILL User Group meetings (organized by Steve Cauffman.)
B. Leslie asked that the circulation committee bring a drafted policy regarding billing for lost items for patrons of other LION libraries. Mark will work with the CIRC committee to bring a report to the December meeting.
C. Bridget thanked Mark, and the entire LION staff, for their work bringing Essex and Ivoryton online this month.
D. Peter Ciparelli announced that NLN has hired a new children's librarian.

X. ADJOURN
Valerie moved and Linda seconded a motion to adjourn. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 11:35 a.m.

ANNUAL MEETING DECEMBER 18, 2001 9:00 A.M.

NEXT MEETING DECEMBER 18, 2001 IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING ANNUAL
MEETING

REFRESHMENTS: DURHAM

Respectfully Submitted,

Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary
ESX

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes