Board Minutes 1999 03

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
March 30, 1999

Present: William Deakyne, Marcia Trotta, Bob Gray, Jan Day, Ann Davis, Ed Murray, Marlene Palmquist, Valerie Harrod, Linda Rusczek, Gale Bradbury, Sandy Long, Howard Einsohn, Leslie Scherer, Lew Daniels, Liz Creighton, Sandy Ruoff, Marie Shaw, Elsie Jenkins, Anne Clement, Ann Montgomery Smith, PCL, Nancy Wardell, Penny Colby, Bill Edge, Mark Hewes. Absent: MDF, MOC/TVY, STC.

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Ann Davis at the Russell Library, Middletown, CT at 9:36 AM. Ann introduced Will Deakyne from East Lyme Public Library and Penny Colby from Guilford, co-chair of PAC with Marcia Lewis. All other LION members introduced themselves.

II. ADDITIONS TO ADGENDA: None.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Minutes of February 23, 1999 should be corrected to note that Woodbridge was absent. Ed Murray moved and Marlene Palmquist seconded a motion that the minutes be approved as corrected. All voted in favor.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: The Treasurer’s Report as of February 28, 1999 had been e-mailed, along with comments on unusual items which included Expenses: New Equipment, for frame relay upgrades and Miscellaneous $1,000 for the buy-back of the PCL share of the office PC. Jan Day moved and Elsie Jenkins seconded a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report. All voted in favor.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. Status of Partnership of CT Libraries:

a. Ann Montgomery Smith reported that the 501(c)(3) application has finally been filed and received by the IRS. The 1st integrated service PCL is providing is telecom and is the most important focus now. The PCL Board approved the signing of the contract with AT&T. Requests for proposals had asked for quotes on data (frame relay) lines, voice (now local library individually), Internet service, WAN and LAN management. The AT&T proposal centralized the 3 hubs of our communications in a location close to an AT&T hub; they are waiving $131,000 of frame relay line installation, since we already have it. There will be new "smart" CSU/DSU boxes at each library site, which allow WAN management. We are contracting for AT&T line management to the CSU/DSU, level 2, not all the way to the desktop. We need a library inventory before we can go to that level. Internet access, web page, e-mail service with server would all be provided. All of the networks need to change their IP addresses and AT&T has agreed to a change that will only have to be made once. The contract includes performance standards for AT&T with penalties. The biggest problem area or work for LION might be IP addresses. The aim is to start phase 1 & 2 by July 1st.

b. The PCL Board, the 3 network directors, the Treasurers and Presidents of the networks held a "Summit Meeting" which dealt with telecom and procurement. Brainstorming resulted in a short list of things everyone wants the ILS to be and do; we want patrons to be able to use any PCL library easily, use catalog easily; we want a transparent system, reliable, cost effective, advanced enough for skilled users; we want proactive system management to move us forward continuously. The Board decided to accept one of the proposals received, from Rob McGee, for a phased consultant project up to the cost analysis phase and to move quickly. Rob McGee requires a review group, which will be the Procurement Committee.

c. Bill Edge distributed a comprehensive list of what the 3 networks provide to their users as services, called Existing Network Services – Bibliomation, Connect, LION.

2. FY99/00 LION Budget: A revision in the budget for Maintenance – Bibliographic Records is needed due to increased OCLC/Nelinet activity. Mark distributed a copy of the revised page 3 of the budget. Even though we need an increase in this account, the budget will still be balanced. We have purchased 146% more records this year, due to increased hours of the cataloger and authorization of ISRs for acquisition orders. Leslie Scherer moved and Ed Murray seconded a motion that the FY99/00 budget be adjusted for this increase. All voted in favor.

3. reQuest update – Mark reported that the online version of reQuest was re-run on March 5th; 11,053 LION bib records with holdings were added back in and the call numbers are now displayed. The cost to LION is $110. The CD-ROM version would have to be re-mastered to be corrected and we have no information as to when, or if, that will occur.

4. Technical Issues: Rick is on a UCONN Huskie vacation. His written report was distributed.

a. IP authentication by vendors like EBSCO, etc has turned out to mean that a re-configuration of the Bibliomation router is needed, etc. Work will continue on this problem.

b. LION is installing PC anywhere on the approximately 39 PAC for Windows PC’s, so that LION can work on the station from the LION office.

c. WAN monitoring software: LION now has software to monitor actual bandwidth usage and is running reports and stress tests on a regular basis.

VII. REPORTS:

1. LION Staff Reports

a. Executive Director: Bill distributed a LION uptime report.

b. Associate Director: Mark distributed his report, including page 4, discussion of LION’s website, which was also discussed in Rick’s report. Mark is now posting some proprietary data, i.e. from Ameritech, EBSCO, etc., on the website under heading "for LION members only" instead of distributing it in paper form to LION members. Access to this data is for LION members only and the password should be secure for library staff only. LION statistics and staff reports, etc. are also accessible here.

2. Committee Reports

a. PAC Committee – Penny reported that the last meeting was March 10th. The subcommittee is still working on instructions for the public users for PAC4Win and EBSCO. The functions of various LION committees is being reconsidered; PAC committee members want to be sure end user/patron needs are identified and represented. Ann Davis added that a users committee might be needed. Bib, Circ and PAC committee chairs have met with Mark and Ann to discuss possible re-structuring and will continue to work on this.

b. Bibliographic Committee – No report.

c. Circulation Committee – Committee met February 26th with a very small turnout and discussed the same issue.

d. Personnel Committee – No report.

e. Finance Committee – No report.

f. Planning Committee – The Committee will meet when they have some concrete proposals from PCL to discuss.

VIII. OLD BUSINESS: Valerie Harrod thanked the staff for the Existing Network Services (3 networks) report and Rick and Mark’s reports which are full of useful information for members.

IX. NEW BUSINESS:

1. Anne Clement reported that on Friday April 16th for National Library Week, 7 shoreline libraries would be open until midnight for "Midnight Madness."

2. Marie Shaw said the East Lyme High School Library will be packing in April and will move a third of the collection to a temporary location until October; the rest of the collection will be in storage.

3. Mark said the recent EBSCO access problems were due to an EBSCO router. CQ is available on the web for a free trial and he will look into this for LION.

X. ADJOURNMENT: Jan Day moved and Valerie Harrod seconded a motion to adjourn at 11:15 am! All voted in favor.

Respectfully submitted,

Sandra R. Long

Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes