Board Minutes 1998 06

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
June 23, 1998

 

Present: Ed Murray, Betty Page, Marlene Palmquist, Valerie Harrod, Marie Shaw, Lydia Main, Gale Bradbury, Sandy Long, Karen Smith, Linda Rusczek, Howard Einsohn, Elsie Jenkins, Leslie Scherer, Lew Daniels, Liz Creighton, Ann Davis, Sandy Ruoff, Cynthia Huddleston, Nancy Wardell, Marcia Lewis, John Wardle, Bill Edge, Mark Hewes. Absent: PEQ, MTC, MOC/TVY, OLY (excused).

 

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President Ed Murray at the Durham Library, Durham, CT at 9:45 am. Valerie Harrod and her staffed were thanked for hosting the meeting and arranging lunch to follow.

II.  ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None.

III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.

IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Marlene Palmquist moved and Lydia Main seconded a motion to approve minutes of the May 26, 1998 Board meeting as distributed. All voted in favor.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Mark Hewes reported on the reasons for overages and balances remaining in various items. It was the consensus to accept the report as presented.

VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:

1. Status of Partnership of CT Libraries:
Leslie Scherer reported that the PCL Board has met twice since the last Lion meeting. The next membership meeting will be September 29th at Middlesex Community College. The first part of the telecom consultant’s study has been completed; he definitely recommends in some detail that the networks go forward as one group, especially since we can deal with the vendor (SNET) at a much higher level as one larger group of libraries. The PCL Board voted to continue with the next phase of the telecom study. The Procurement committee has sent questionnaires to all members, has formed task forces to do more detailed work and will be holding "town meetings" in 5-6 weeks in various geographic areas to follow-up on the questions in the survey. The survey results were fairly uniform across all of the networks and across types of libraries (academic & public). PAC had highest priority followed by circ. The board asked Mike Symonds to serve in Bill Edge’s absence on the telecom project and asked the Executive Committee to serve as the search committee and write the job description for an executive director. There is interest in expanding the Board perhaps from 9 to 12 to increase participation, to absorb the workload, and to better the ratio of academic to public library participation. Bibliomation and Connect have been charged to look at and report by September on the consultant’s recommendation to share one site, one system computer, one staff for a possible savings of $200,000. The goal is still to have a single ILS by June 1999 to which LION would move.

Currently, the CLN plan has 2 parts: the database, in the TLC contract, and telecom which will be done through CSU, on the basis that the first step should be connecting the existing networks (PCL) to the CLN, which is a big, positive change from the earlier CLN concept.

A 10 page PCL FY99 Draft Budget was distributed; only II and III are real costs for current services; the other items are estimates of services under discussion.

2. Nominating Committee: Valerie Harrod reported that Jan Day has resigned as Vice President due to work associated with her library’s construction project. She also chaired the Personnel Committee and was expected to become the next President. So far no one has agreed to be President next year. Ed Murray will chair Personnel for the remainder of this year. Valerie Harrod moved and Leslie Scherer seconded a motion that Sandy Ruoff be elected Vice President for the remainder of this year. All voted in favor.

Elsie Jenkins moved and Gale Bradbury seconded a motion to adopt the pro forma Webster bank resolution authorizing LION officers and Executive and Associate Directors to sign financial transactions. All voted in favor.

3. FY 1999 LION Budget:

    a. Ops Fees 99-Projected Member Income document was distributed for member verification; part 1 shows existing terminals, pages 5 & 6 shows new terminals to be installed FY 99. Notify office of any changes ASAP.

   b. A list of members with outstanding receivables was distributed, but many bills had just been issued.

  c. FY 99 Budget was distributed; it includes only existing PCL programs (admin, telecom consultant, intra-, inter net services), no projections for other PCL items. Marie Shaw moved and Sandy Ruoff seconded a motion that the FY 99 Budget be adopted as presented. All voted in favor.

4. Personnel Committee recommendation: Marie Shaw moved and Gale Bradbury seconded a motion that the Personnel Committee’s recommendations for the annual pay rate adjustments for FY 99 listed on the agenda be approved. All voted in favor. The Personnel Committee used tables that were compiled after extensive comparison with other networks’ salary ranges and job descriptions and adopted last year by LION, updated by 1.6% CPI increase voted last month. Each person has been advanced 1 step on the table based on merit evaluations.

5. Job Descriptions: Sandy Ruoff moved and Karen Smith seconded a motion that the 3 job descriptions as mailed be adopted, with the exception that the word typing be dropped in 2 places and keyboarding substituted in one place. All voted in favor.

6. Frame Relay Upgrade: The first 8 sites have been installed and the next 10 ordered. The last round will be ordered this summer. 4 sites have taken 128kb. DialPAC is working with the routers and term servers as installed.

PAC for Windows: we are awaiting shipment of that client. PAC for Windows will be scripted with the Dynix generic look and then changed for individual libraries.

LION Webserver: will hopefully be running at the end of July.

7. LION member fees: Because we are now installing and supporting workstations instead of dumb terminals, the capital costs, operating and maintenance costs are higher for LION. Workstations can also include Internet access but we are not yet sure of our capacity and what the eventual cost will be. After discussion it was recommended that these issues be referred to the Finance Committee for their recommendation.

 

VII. REPORTS:

1. Staff Reports

     a. May uptime was 96%. Bill will be on vacation/leave until August 31.

     b. Mark distributed his report.

2. PAC will meet early in August.

3. Bib Committee sent an e-mail that libraries can create ISRs for on order items, extended to libraries that don’t use ACQ.

4. Circ. Committee will meet in September.

5. Personnel Committee – no further report.

6. Finance Committee – no further report.

7. Planning Committee – no report.

 

VIII. OLD BUSINESS: Mark reported ACQ training is uncertain since only 4 members have not had, others would have to pay and need 6 for price break.

We are still waiting for a reply from Bibliomation re e-mail addresses.

IX. NEW BUSINESS: None.

X. ADJOURNMENT: Sandy Ruoff moved and Elsie Jenkins seconded a motion to adjourn at 12:30 p.m. All voted in favor by moving to the lunch organized by Valerie Harrod. The next meeting will be July 28th at 9:30 am at Russell Library. MRD is in charge of refreshments.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Sandra R. Long
Secretary

Return to top

Return to Board Minutes