Summary of Action Taken
Durham, Branford, Guilford, Ledyard, Madison, Madison, Meriden, Middlefield, Middlesex Community College, Middletown, Mitchell College, Norwich, Old Lyme, Wallingford, Stony Creek, LION.
East Hampton, East Lyme, East Lyme High School, Mashantucket Pequot, New London, Three Rivers Community Technical College, Woodbridge
1. The meeting was called to order at 9:30 AM.
2. Laurie Alper was introduced as the new cataloguer for Madison.
3. Guilford MOVED and Middletown SECONDED the MOTION to accept the minutes from the September 1997 meeting. Motion passed.
4. Circuit Cataloger
Gennett made mention of a MAIL message she had placed on the Dynix system concerning Ann Rumery of Contemporary Cataloging. She made clear that LION is not endorsing this company and anyone interested in freelance catalogers should contact her about the list of people available.
5. LION NEWS
a. Audience level codes – The Committee agreed to use the new codes concerning audience level for juvenile material. In the past just a j had been used to indicate an item was at a juvenile intellectual level, OCLC has now broken this down to a,b,c, and d. Karan will be sending out a list that can be used as a reference sheet. (Please see attached page)
b. Mark handed out the statistics for October and September.
c. Wednesday, December 17 the system will be down for the loading of Release 170.
d. The 246 tag is now in place and accessible. The 655 tag is also available. Records coming in from OCLC and LC contain this tag for genre headings. AS of now these headings are in both the 655 tag and the 650. LION will be making a decision soon on how to handle the merging of the two tags.
6. Attaching orders to BSE. Old Lyme brought up this issue. It was tabled until the next meeting.
7. The Committee decided it would be best to meet on a quarterly basis, with the agreement that additional meetings would be scheduled as needed.
Thurs. Feb. 5, 1998 9:30 Russell Library. Old Lyme is in charge of refreshments.
Meeting was adjourned at 10:45