BIB Minutes 1996 11


Bibliographic Committee
Minutes of the Meeting of 21 November 1996

Members represented

Branford (Gennett Grinnell), Durham (Nancy Turner), East Lyme (Lydia Main), East Lyme High (Lydia Main), Guilford (Marcia Welsh), Ledyard (Nancy Avery), Madison (Marcia Sokolnicki), Mashantucket Pequot (Anne McFarland), Meriden (Liz Creighton, Becky Hagstrom), Middlefield (Karen Smith), Middlesex Community Technical College (Lan Liu), Middletown (Teri Staab, Ann Juknis), Mitchell College (Claire Murphy), New London (Lee Clapp), Norwich (Hannah Estra), Wallingford (Pat Johnson, Betty Walker), Woodbridge (Nancy Castagnetti),

Libraries Online (Bill Edge, Mark Hewes, Betty Page)

Members absent

East Hampton, Guilford High School, Old Lyme, Stony Creek, Three Rivers Community Technical College

Marcia Welsh called the meeting to order at 9:33 AM

Draft Minutes of the September 18th meeting will be distributed prior to the next meeting. They will be revised and approved next meeting. The September meeting was a joint meeting of the PAC and BIB Committees at which Sean Rogers of Reed Publishing demonstrated Reed’s CDROM database products, specifically Books in Print. Joe Fromme and Mark Hewes demonstrated the EBSCOhost version of Books in Print. LION has access to Books in Print on a trial basis and has made access available on the main search menu of each account. A meeting of the BIB Committee was held following the demonstrations. At that meeting, Mark presented an update on the PMSC non-print records; LION was awaiting a response from PMSC concerning LION requirement of ownership of records purchased. Mark also discussed the new Dynix software releases: 151, 152, and 153. Marcia was to draft a memo reminding members of certain LION policies after the confusion that aroose with Stephen King’s The Green Mile. Please see the Minutes of the September meeting for the correct procedure for the bibliographic description of large print editions.

LION’s Share

Mark reported on the FTP project, the file transfer of LC and OCLC records into the LION database. It will cut down on tape loads and will allow the records to enter the database quicker. Currently the LC tapes are loaded once a week and OCLC once a month. The advantages to FTP would be that the records would be added every day or two and since only an ISR is needed for LION update, individual stress levels should be lowered. Anne McFarland at PEQ is involved in the test project, enhancing to Level 3. Records can be downloaded to PCs or LANS. PEQ records are going into LION’S server via established OCLC procedure. Records can be searched on a bibliographic utility, enhances, loaded into Dynix via the LC profile and pulled into the LION base getting our own record back. Please refer to the last Board of Directors meeting for a more detailed explanation from Mark. Mark stressed that the change is in technology rather than in procedure. The project saves LION OCLC libraries from doing double work. Bill asked how many libraries are currently producing cards; six members indicated they were. CAT for Windows is being rewritten, but currently is appropriate more for single library use than multi-libraries.

Mark reported on the ISR review procedure changes. At the August Board of Directors meeting, the quality review procedure was questioned. It was decided that for six months the quality review procedure would be abandoned and the LION office would upgrade all individual library ISRs to avoid handing back records for upgrading. Now the only time an individual library receives and ISR for upgrading is because the physical item must be examined. Now Karan Conover is “in the driver’s seat” and much paperwork is eliminated. The OCLC terminal has been updated. Mark distributed statistics on the October upgrades and LION was the third highest contributor to the database. Karan is attending classes. Windows OCLC will be added to the LAN.

Negotiations with PMSC has ended since the President of the company was unwilling to sell LION permanent rights to the records. The yearly license would have been $7500 annually and LION offered a buyout of $2 per record which was refused. The hit rate is higher for non-print materials on OCLC.

Certain records cannot be obtained by outsourcing. It will still be necessary for individual libraries to provided full MARC cataloging for local historical records, original videos, obscure publishers, some brand-new titles. One way of dealing with this original cataloging is via a “circuit cataloger.” Bill announced that a proposal would be presented to the Board of Directors for a circuit cataloger to work on an hourly fee basis, via contract to LION. Responsibilities might include on-site full MARC cataloging, cataloging for special projects, i.e.., local history, multi-media collections, retrocon, new collections, specialized collections and might include training individual library staff members on ISR production.

Release 151,152 and 153 worked smoothly until index problems cropped up. Reindex and file seems to work on individual basis. Is it an indexing problem or a TAP problem? Continue to report problems to Mark, but do not provide him with any more additional examples. Reindexing can be done by author, barcode, or bib number. Release 160, PAC and Windows, is expected the first week of January, 1997. The Planning Committee is currently reviewing four next-system proposals.

Homegrown Kits

Hannah raised the issue of “homegrown kits,” collections of materials put together by an individual library for circulation as a unit. Discussion followed as to whether a non-MARC or a MARC record should be developed. The following motion by Hannah was unanimously approved: “A library-assembled-collection of material to be circulated as a single item not meeting LION policy requirements for cataloging as an I, K, or BSE Level record, may be cataloged as a Dynix non-MARC record, with added entries and subject headings as appropriate.” This statement will be presented at the next Board of Directors meeting.

Non-Compliance

Mark had received complaints from individual libraries about one or more member libraries making BSEs for new material instead of ISRs. Current policy states that ISRs must be developed. The creation of BSEs instead of ISRs create holding, indexing, and shared hold problems for all members since BSEs are “dead ends.” Currently LION has no procedure for reviewing non-MARC records. One library has 1500 of these records existing in the LION database. Marcia will contact STC citing this violation of LION policy and will list procedures and suggestions for updating these records.

Fast Adds

Lydia remarked that some Fast Adds don’t delete. Mark will do a list for each member. She reported briefly on her inventory project and will offer her comments and suggestions to anyone thinking of doing an inventory.

Serial Monographs

Liz raised the issue of serial monographs. Discussion will continue at the next meeting. Mark reminded everyone that if anyone disagrees with a cataloging decision the issue should be brought before the Bibliographic Task Force.

Nancy Ross

Marcia sent a personal note to Nancy Ross, former member of the committee, thanking her for her contributions to the group. The next meeting will be Thursday, January 2. The meeting was adjourned at 12:20 p.m.

Return to top

Return to BIB Minutes